Are you a belly dance purist...?

Sita

I fail to understand why we have two extremes:

1. Make it up as you go
that's a disaster waiting to happen, but could be good entertainment for the audience:confused:
2. Stick to only what we see Randa,
nope...there is no way I'm ever doing those windmill arms - no matter what:shok:
Raqia, Sibel Baris, etc doing.
;)chance would be a fine thing :lol::lol:

I'm gonna have to go with mystery box number 3 :D

Viva Sibel Baris:

:dance::dance:

:)
Sita

Sita

Question about her costume. How does one dance in that without worrying about modesty? What do you wear under it?

:think: I suppose some form of body stocking.. or extra reinforcement where you need it most..

to be honest I'm still trying to get over how she can get away with such forceful thrusts yet still seem quite elegant and professional :think:

Sita

Amanda (was Aziyade)

LOL - you don't like? :)

Sibel was one of the first dancers recommended to me who were representative of Turkish style in the 90s. Tulay Karaca was another. It's a different energy altogether from what you see from the Egyptians, with a different presentation.

Personally I'm uncomfortable with pelvic thrusts done facing an audience, but I've seen Randa do them facing away, so it looks like her butt is dropping down. That's cute. Maybe I just don't have the soul of a Turkish dancer...

Caroline and Sita -- I agree that there is and should be a third option: call it "doing it in the style of" or capturing the flavor (or what A'isha used to call the "Essence.")

I feel like I've studied Raqia's choreographies for so long now that I'm fairly good at predicting what she's going to do at certain parts of the music. Without sounding arrogant, I'm BEGINNING to feel like I sort of quasi understand her as a choreographer, and I THINK I might be able to tackle making a choreography in her "style," but still making it mine, and interpreting the music my way. Maybe what I'm saying is that I've studied her long enough to start to hear the music the way she does - ? That was my goal, anyway. I hope I'm close to achieving it.

Of course, this kind of approach STARTS with imitation, and I'd like to hope that eventually imitation leads to originality.

Kharmine

...Of course, this kind of approach STARTS with imitation, and I'd like to hope that eventually imitation leads to originality.

Imitation of a good thing is always part of learning, whether that's in painting or dancing, acting or writing, etc. Unless it's an exact copy, we're always gonna put our own stamp on what we're doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aniseteph

Question about her costume...

Question about his costume - was there a time when that actually looked good? Definitely a TPBDC for me, and not in a good way. But I liked hers.

Not a fan of the crotch-to-crotch backbends, and the ankles behind the neck - ewww! Talk about inelegant...