Post Thanks / Like

Default Total Bellydancing Noob.

Hello everyone!!
    I found your forum via many Google searches regarding bellydancing DVDs. I am in a situation where I don't have enough money to find an instructor (and there aren't many in my area to be had anyway). I have never bellydanced before, but I am in relatively good shape and can keep a beat. I am looking for some assistance in where to begin my practice, (which DVDs should I look into, what should I do first, etc.) and to meet some people who can keep me encouraged!!

On a more personal note, I am a 20-something teacher. I live in Texas and drink excessive amounts of green tea. I am also a graphic designer and pin-up model in my spare time.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

You have come to the right place to have questions answered and for support. There are several threads that list DVDs recommended for beginners and beyond, so you can search for DVDs or go to the Instructors and Students - Belly Dance Forums forum and browse the various threads.

Here is one thread on instructional DVds http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...onal-dvds.html

I hope that will get you started. Good luck on your dance journey.

~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya *waves* I'm a newbie too. Everyone is just lovely and very helpful. Hope to see you around on the forums :-)

Ali x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vintage Dancer,
    I'm new on here too. When my dance teacher moved away I taught myself lots of belly dance - there are DVD's but I find YouTube to be a personal favorite of mine. There is something new everytime; some good, some not so good. But that's all in the process of learning. Evaluating what is both good and bad dance. The internet has a wealth of information regarding the history of belly dance, various styles etc., and whatever you would like some more advice on, this forum is a fab place to discuss with like-minded individuals.

I taught myself both cane and double veil simply by watching DVD's, slowing them down and reading up on the subject matter. Once you feel you have a basic knowledge you might want to save up some cash to attend a few workshops - you can teach yourself, but I do feel there is no substitute for getting first hand tuition from a teacher and being surrounded by other dancers. Maybe there are other ladies who might like to get together with you so you can train together; after all 2 heads are better than 1!

Anyway, welcome, and have fun along your belly dance journey!