Total Bellydancing Noob.

vintage_dancer

Hello everyone!!
I found your forum via many Google searches regarding bellydancing DVDs. I am in a situation where I don't have enough money to find an instructor (and there aren't many in my area to be had anyway). I have never bellydanced before, but I am in relatively good shape and can keep a beat. I am looking for some assistance in where to begin my practice, (which DVDs should I look into, what should I do first, etc.) and to meet some people who can keep me encouraged!! :)

On a more personal note, I am a 20-something teacher. I live in Texas and drink excessive amounts of green tea. I am also a graphic designer and pin-up model in my spare time.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Mosaic

Super Moderator

AliX

Hiya *waves* I'm a newbie too. Everyone is just lovely and very helpful. Hope to see you around on the forums :)

Ali x

Ahimsa

Hi Vintage Dancer,
I'm new on here too. When my dance teacher moved away I taught myself lots of belly dance - there are DVD's but I find YouTube to be a personal favorite of mine. There is something new everytime; some good, some not so good. But that's all in the process of learning. Evaluating what is both good and bad dance. The internet has a wealth of information regarding the history of belly dance, various styles etc., and whatever you would like some more advice on, this forum is a fab place to discuss with like-minded individuals.

I taught myself both cane and double veil simply by watching DVD's, slowing them down and reading up on the subject matter. Once you feel you have a basic knowledge you might want to save up some cash to attend a few workshops - you can teach yourself, but I do feel there is no substitute for getting first hand tuition from a teacher and being surrounded by other dancers. Maybe there are other ladies who might like to get together with you so you can train together; after all 2 heads are better than 1!

Anyway, welcome, and have fun along your belly dance journey!:)