Interesting resource

Amulya

There was a german site that did the same but with animations. I really think animations are needed.

Kashmir

What a huge task! Points to them for attempting such a project - but people should be wary of thinking it as "definitive". This is one person's style. I immeditely went to a couple of my personal bugbears - up/down shimmy - not the way we do it at all - weight is not in the heels, not powered by bending the knees except for raw beginners.

Shoulder shimmy - yes, they do shimmy the shoulders rather than twisting the torso. Tick from me - but therefore possibly a cross from many other teachers.

Shanazel

Animated illustration definitely needed. In the olden days before stretch Lycra, internet, waterproof mascara, and RB, I used to study Serena Wilson's book for inspiration. She had pictures and detailed descriptions of movements, but some of them I have not figured out to this day despite following written instruction carefully. This will also likely be a problem with this site.

I'm with you, Ksahmir, re: weight on the heels. I'm not sure I could even do it that way without falling backward. :think:

jenc

What a huge task! Points to them for attempting such a project - but people should be wary of thinking it as "definitive". This is one person's style. I immeditely went to a couple of my personal bugbears - up/down shimmy - not the way we do it at all - weight is not in the heels, not powered by bending the knees except for raw beginners.

Shoulder shimmy - yes, they do shimmy the shoulders rather than twisting the torso. Tick from me - but therefore possibly a cross from many other teachers.

Is their up shimmy better known as hip shimmy (or rocker shimmy in thUS?). No longer fashionable in Egypt. But Fifi said to use our hips although she did say t power it with the hips.

And where is Egyptian or freeze shimmy. And I found the 3/4 shimmy puzzling

Amanda (was Aziyade)

The owner of that site is on another site I frequent, and I had some questions about her project, which I tried posting in the nicest way possible.

I think a lot of younger dancers want to try this -- I remember my first "list of moves" and how it eventually evolved into a 4-page spreadsheet before I gave it up entirely.

One problem with "dictionaries" is illustrated by this point that I like to make: the varying mechanics of a hip lift. How do you make a hip lift? How many ways can you make a hip lift?

I count about 5 different ways, and Ava Fleming taught an additional one. You can use the straightening of the leg, you can squeeze the glute, you can contract the outer oblique, or the inner oblique or the abductors, or Ava's way of somehow pulling through the chest. (???) Each one gives you a "lift" but with a different look.

Despite all the possible variations, I abhor lists like this because they seem to say belly dance is just a movement vocabulary.

This one in particular focuses on a lot of static arm and leg positions. Why are those even included? When was the last time you posed with "genie arms" for more than a few seconds?

Like I said, I respect the effort, but for me at some point it became more work to try and list all the variations of "Mona's rocking pony" than to just dance.

jenc

This one in particular focuses on a lot of static arm and leg positions. Why are those even included? When was the last time you posed with "genie arms" for more than a few seconds?

If you are Neena or Veena!!

Aniseteph

I wish it didn't open a new window every time you clicked a link. :mad:

I guess this is the same project: YouTube - theSOULstudio's Channel

I have to agree with Aziyade - seems like a lot of work to bring things down to a list of moves, and then you haven't even scratched the surface of all the nuances and different ways to do it, let alone covered all the different things people call the same move.