Post Thanks / Like

Question ...

Last edited by BellydanceFTW; 12-10-2015 at 01:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellydanceFTW View Post
    How does a person find a teacher (safely)? Iím very interested in taking actual classes instead of learning soley from videos, and think I will be able to, but I have no idea how to find a teacher. Iíve never heard a word of any type of dance other than the waltz or breakdance, and certainly not bellydance, around here, so Iím really not sure that there is a bellydance teacher in my area. Am I supposed to look somewhere--read something online? Or am I supposed to ask around community centers, maybe? I really am not sure, so could any of you please help me?
    do you have a computer? OK, type the word bellydance teachers directory, in Florida. Marie

Post Thanks / Like

there is a Belly Dance Instructor Directory Belly Dance Instructors Directory - belly dance classes, lessons, teachers. that may be of some help

Post Thanks / Like

Hello again, at your age it is going to be difficult to find a teacher, people do not want to deal with minors, your parents will have to help you to find a belly dance teacher, if not forget it untill you are 18 so you can do it yourself. think: Marie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Florida has a booming bellydance community!!!! You can try the teachers listing on Oriental dancer.net, another good choice is www.shira.net--that's how I found my teacher!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teacher, ertc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesaffron View Post
    Hello again, at your age it is going to be difficult to find a teacher, people do not want to deal with minors, your parents will have to help you to find a belly dance teacher, if not forget it untill you are 18 so you can do it yourself. think: Marie

Dear Belly dance FTW,
    I have been teaching for a LOT of years now and nearly always have some minors in my class. Instead of signing a release themselves, they need to have it signed by their parent/guaridan. This is the ONLY difference in how minors sign up for class. My youngest student at the moment is 10. My oldest is in her 60s. Everyone is welcome.
    My advice is to study up on teaches. Ask to visit a class and see how the instructor teaches. Does she/he seem to understand and have a lesson plan? Does she/he give individual help to the students? Does she/he move throigh the lesson at a pace that is beneficial to ther students instead of having a strict time limit? If this is a possibility in your location, ask to sit in on a class of several different instructors and see which one is right for you.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, bellydanceFTW!

I just found this cool site by googling:

Belly Dance Florida

You can also call local Community Education offices and YMCAs, to see if they know of any classes.

Try checking bulletin boards at coffee shops, dance supply shops, and gyms.

Remember, if your first teacher isn't a good fit, you can always try again with another one!

Post Thanks / Like

Iíve seen several different classes and performing troupes that are all for teen girls! You could go to a bellydance festival or other event to see what style youíre interested in, although the community center might hold classes too. Iím sure you can find a good teacher in your area!