Thread: Hey there:)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey there:)

Hi,

I'm Sarah, and I'm from New Zealand. I'm sixteen, and are starting bellydancing classes soon. I wanna be amazing lol, but have never done it before. I'm determined to get there though.
    First of all, I'm worried, cause i have a condition that makes me uncoordinated. I'm terrified it'll mean I can never be good. Also, at 65kg, I'm worried I'm too fat. I'm curvy, but not massive, but everyone who belly dances seems to be thin!
    I'm determined though. I've started going for long walks every day to get fit.

Hello

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum. Not everyone is thin/skinny. Many, many more dancers are more shapely and a quite a lot are nicely covered & "womanly". At this stage concentrate on learning and building fitness is a good start. Youd be surprised how much energy you use when dancing.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    I hope you wil keep dancing for many, many years to come!
    No matter your, weight, body type or BMI or whatever other parameters you choose to judge yourself from in your everyday life, rest assure that in its' ultimate form, bellydancing is for EVERYONE.
    I am sure that you will very soon come to realise that no matter your type of personality and body, you will find steps that lets you communicate YOU and make other people; other dancers dream that they had some specific naturally flattering feature that you do.
    Sure, you will be looking at another dancers every once in a while like that too - admiring her long, slender arms or her smile, hair, huuuuuuge hips or whatever, but my general feeling, and I hear this from many, many dancers, is that bellydancing has affected and still affects most of us way more in this amazing direction: A LOT of us really learn to appreciate our own bodies - and bodytypes - in a whole other, more profound way than we ever imagined we could before we started bellydancing.
    No matter what you've got - or don't have - you'll almost be dead certain that you can find a way to make it work for you in bellydance!

For now, just throw yourself out there!
    Seek and you shall find!
    - and what more is: We, your fellow bellydancers of all sorts, types and ages, will be here to support you and rejoice with you, when you find that "IT" - YOUR personal it, that will make you a treat for every one else to watch dancing.

And in short, about the plain weight/bedllydance question:
    I doubt that you'll get to spend more than a month in this forum without learning by watching YouTube clips and the like, just how little a truely wonderful performing bellydancer's weight has to do with the quality of the messages she sends from stage, and how willingly we receive them as audience!

Take it easy, try to keep your mind open, go with the flow and prepare to be thrilled and amazed at what your body will do for you if you'll just let it, just how far it will take you and how much it will show you and teach you about yourself and the actual nature of your personal limits as opposed to your perceived ones.

One of my favorite dance quotes is attributed to Constanze:
    "Dancing is like dreaming with your feet."
    As far as I am concerned, our BMIs (in and of itself) doesn't stop us from dreaming beautifully - so why bother to let it stifle our joy of dancing?

[/Prusilusken rant]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi AnimalLover,

Welcome to the forum!

I wont go too much into how the weight thing is NOT an issue, as i'm sure everyone will be jumping on the bandwagon to tell you the same thing!!
    Bellydancing is suitable for all no matter what your shape or size! Have a browse over the internet and you will see what I mean. And often you will find that women turn their size into perfecting their dancing i.e. a slim, tall woman may be able to contort her body to move in a 'snake like way', or you may find that curvier women have wonderful hips that produce the earthiest, heavy hip movements!!

As for the co-ordination worries you have I would suggest listening to some Middle Eastern music and try just closing your eyes and feeling the rhythms with your body. This may help you once you start choreography and you have instructions telling you to move left and right! Become more of an instinctive dancer instead of trying to work out each move in your mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much everyone! I feel so welcome!
    You guys are so nice!