ATS Costuming Guide...

Ahimsa

Hi all!

I am attempting to construct my first ATS costume (all have been cabaret or whatever-I-felt-like-at-the-time style in the past!).

ATS is pretty new to me and the class I am currently attending is a FCBD sister studio, so it is pure ATS, not fusion.

I would therefore like to make a pretty authentic costume, but I cannot find anything which outlines what the traditional ATS costume includes. I know that my teacher has guidelines on what she has to wear, so I can ask her, but just wanted to see what everyone else on here thinks.

I would like to know what the basic make-up of the costume includes so that I can add a little bit of my artistic interpretation without losing the original style!

lizaj

Fat Chance styling

Last edited:

lizaj

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/lizajuk/joy1009morai4.jpg[/IMG]

Morai Tribal taken at JoY last october

lizaj

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/lizajuk/postcardstribalsix2colouring.jpg[/IMG]

The troupe I belong to in our 2008 show .

All these reflect the more "traditional" look.
Look at Fat Chance Belly Dance Fat Chance Belly Dance - American Tribal Style, gypsy caravan Tribal Bellydance | Tribal Belly Dance Fusion | Paulette Rees-Denis for examples of "founding troupes" Tribaldancer here on OD has some of the best information and discussion on ATS. Welcome to the new Mandala Tribal Website! | Mandala Tribal Bellydance - Shay Moore - Seattle

Last edited:

adiemus

You know, there are times (SSSHHH!!!) I'd love to do tribal style just for the costume fun! (Don't tell Kashmir!)

shiradotnet

One key question would be: Under what circumstances would you wear this costume? Performing with your teacher's troupe, or otherwise?

Because if you're planning to perform with your teacher, then you'll need to choose a costume that fits with her specific guidelines. In other words, FatChance as a whole may allow for some personal flexibility, but your teacher may have guidelines requiring certain skirt colors or certain coin bra vendors in order to get a uniform troupe look.

I second Daimona's recommendation of Volume 2 in the FatChance video series. There's a review of it on my web site at Belly Dance Instructional Video Review: Tribal Basics, Volume 2 - Makeup and Costume, by Carolena Nericcio

lizaj

To add to Shira's point..yes a troupe usually decides on its' own look. They create it to suit themselves. Many of us followed the lead of the FCBD look initially then just as they didd start to vary what we wore..maybe doing following what the music "appeared" to dictate. But I look back and nothing beas that original big bloomer, big skirt,choli and turban look for me:D
The costume often seemed to be so time-consuming in the putting on and the performance er 3 ,4,5 mins that it came as a relief to ditch the turban and go for the "garden on the head" look.

Reference material

Get a copy of the "Tribal Bible". Haunt eBay for Kuchi jewlery, broken bits are great to use in tribal costume. Best of luck, new member of the tribe!

Rev. Theresa

shiradotnet

Dawn Devine Brown's book, From Turban to Toe Ring, offers a lot of ideas that would stay true to the tribal-style aesthetic, but with ideas for some variations that allow for a bit of individuality.

You can find my review of it at this link: Reviews of Costuming-Related Books