Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sword Dance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    This may seem like common sense to everybody else, but I didn't realize how important this is:

DON'T PRACTICE IN FRONT OF A MIRROR!

Okay, well you can for a little bit, but if you spend most of your practice balance time in front of a mirror, you will first develop an eye for when the sword starts to slip or get off balance. You don't want this. You want to develop a FEEL for it, which comes sometime after your eye can see it.

You can see it start to slip, so you make tiny microadjustments. But then when you take the mirror away -- oh noes!

Turn around and work your balance practice where it's just you and the wall. That way you will FEEL it move and adjust itself.

Please learn from my mistake. I dropped my sword in a restaurant, about 3 feet from a little girl, because I'd been practicing only in front of the mirror. Thank heavens it was just a cheapie and unsharpened. I shudder to think what damage my new Hanwei would do in the same situation!
    Wow, thanks for the heads-up, Aziyade. We don't have a lot of mirrors in our bedrooms, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, and with spring around the corner, I can practice outside in the back yard (don't know what the apartment manager or neighbors will think, but ah, well... XD ).

BoiseShan: How do you feed a sword? oO??

Post Thanks / Like

Sword dance is a lot like striptease..... you want a lot of drama before the big show! If your sword has a beautiful sheath, bring the sword out in its sheath and dramatically "undress" it in front of the audience. Learn to twirl your sword (not like a baton, but as a fighter might). Make sure your sword handle is well made and well anchored to the sword before you twirl. I have had handles come off of cheaply made swords. Watch your costuming choices... you don't want to trip or slide on your costume... you don't want to expose yourself (I've seen some awfully skimpy sword costumes!)... and some of your costumes may provide convenient balance points for your sword (for example, if your belt is thick, you may be able to rest the sword on the ledge of the belt and do a hip roll). Also watch your costume for things that may get caught on your sword when you are dancing or twirling the sword. Have fun! Practice a lot! And safety first! (Make sure everyone is back a reasonable distance at all times! Okay, unless you are bringing someone up to try it themselves, THEN you need to make sure you are able to grab the sword at any given moment to protect the person!)

Post Thanks / Like

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Shara View Post
    ...If your sword has a beautiful sheath, bring the sword out in its sheath and dramatically "undress" it in front of the audience. ... Also watch your costume for things that may get caught on your sword when you are dancing or twirling the sword.
    I only recently started sword and the sword I bought has a lovely red sheath. I found a clip on Youtube of a dancer who balanced the sheathed sword before bringing it out. I thought I added it to my favourites so I could study it later - but when I went back, I couldn't find it again! grrr!

I know what you mean about things that get caught. I prefer wearing sleeves (to cover my tuckshop arms) and have some lovely floaty ones - none of which I can wear when dancing with my sword.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thank you all for your amazing tips! (You have all helped more than I expected!)

Although I am still beginning with sword dance, it helps to avoid falling into bad habits.

Thank you all so much!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a bellydance sword choreography by Isadora on WDNY Fantasy Bellydance Magic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12