Sword Dance?

Hexx

(please forgive me if this topic has been discussed before.)

I would love to learn how to dance with a sword, but I can't find any resources on how to get started. (I can't believe someone hasn't made a DVD yet.)

Can anyone recommend some resources for learning to dance with a sword? (Are there any instructors in Toronto (ON) that offer lessons on this?

Jane

Do you have a sword yet? I can give you some pointers (yes, pun:rolleyes:) on the basics.

I can't think of any sword instructional DVDs off the top of my head (again :rolleyes:) either. Maybe the liability is too high. If you are comfortable dancing and balancing it on different body parts already, watch American style performance videos with sword for more creative ideas.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I think the Princess's videos are very good also --

Princess Farhana of Hollywood belly dancing

Raqs Al Sayf is one of my favorites.

Cory Zamora and Veda Sereem both had sword videos, but I think pretty much everything on them is also covered on the Princess vids. I haven't seen Mezdulene's.

Watching other performers is a good idea to see WHAT they do with the sword. You have to be a little more dramatic than just sticking it on your head and standing there. Youtube is full of great sword dances. The technique for balancing is discussed on the above videos, but if you have any specific questions after you've watched one, we're always here.

I ADORE my new Hanwei sword, and since Erika already posted her review, I'll have to add my two cents on our new Scimitars! Here's the link:

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/market-place/11110-belly-dance-sword.html

maria_harlequin

Ooo yes, definitely do not just walk in with the sword on your head. Sword dancing is 90% drama and it's always fun to surprise your audience with what you can do with it especially if they're not familiar with belly dancing. Start off with balancing it on your hip, your shoulder, and build up the intensity to where you balance it on your head and then you start spinning.

Hexx

Thank you everyone for the tips and the references.

I'm still just learning to balance the sword (man, is it ever heavy!) but I think that your help will be a wonderful resource. :)

Jane — I do have a sword, and would appreciate any start up tips that you can offer. (I found a great tip about just balancing the sword while you do your chores to just get used to the weight and width. Outside of that, I'm at a loss)

maria_harlequin and Aziyade — thank you so much for the links. I'm going to try to get a hold of these DVD's

Thanks also for the dancing tips. You ladies are absolutely wonderful!

Jane

When you present a sword dance to an audience, don't start balancing it right away. Use a lot of showman ship and save your best "tricks" for last. Make a big deal of bringing it out. One way it to wrap it in a veil and make a big show of revealing it. Fully integrate it with your dance and don't ignore the music just because you have a prop. Most sword dance is modern fantasy Oriental dance so you may want to carefully consider your music choices and audience to match that genre. If you plan on doing floorwork with the sword, try it out in several different costumes to see what wont make you feel awkward. Also, ask a friend to watch you and make sure your undies don't show or that you have to manage your costume around what you are doing to the point of distraction. I rub a little bees wax on the balance point of my sword to help keep it from slipping in my hair. Avoid slippery and oily hair products, they will make the sword slide right off. I don't wear anything on my head when I balance a sword on it, I believe the audience does not think it's as hard. Try balancing the sword on different body parts, just keep it tasteful. Finger, hip, shoulder, top of thigh, belly, etc. Never act like it's easy, make it look challenging at first to your audience. When the sword is balanced on your head, you have to anticipate a turn. It's a little like driving in the snow. Begin to turn the sword on your head before putting the rest of your body into motion. Stop turning the sword before the rest of your body catches up. Anticipate the start and the stop. If it starts to slip off grab the handle immediately! I got a scar from that once. I learned the hard way. Movements that have momentum forward and back will be easier to manage than movements that shift the sword from side to side and rock it. Don't be afraid of double sword! It looks awesome!:D:D

Hi Hexx, Looking at the scars on the ceiling and dents on the floor, practice outside in your backyard when possible... yep the neighbors will be surprised but you don't have to worry about smashing that antique vase or lamp cause you didn't quite estimate your arm-length and the sword's length. Also if you drop the sword which does happen you have more space to get out it's way. Creaks

Amanda (was Aziyade)

This may seem like common sense to everybody else, but I didn't realize how important this is:

DON'T PRACTICE IN FRONT OF A MIRROR!

Okay, well you can for a little bit, but if you spend most of your practice balance time in front of a mirror, you will first develop an eye for when the sword starts to slip or get off balance. You don't want this. You want to develop a FEEL for it, which comes sometime after your eye can see it.

You can see it start to slip, so you make tiny microadjustments. But then when you take the mirror away -- oh noes!

Turn around and work your balance practice where it's just you and the wall. That way you will FEEL it move and adjust itself.

Please learn from my mistake. I dropped my sword in a restaurant, about 3 feet from a little girl, because I'd been practicing only in front of the mirror. Thank heavens it was just a cheapie and unsharpened. I shudder to think what damage my new Hanwei would do in the same situation!

BoiseShan

Sword DVD

Hi there.

I just did my first solo a few months ago--and used a sword in it!

The best DVD I've found is Sword Stylization by (with?) Belladonna. It's got a tribal vibe, but the information will help anyone.

She goes over the choosing, care, and feeding of your sword. She also demonstrates and drills loads of moves--including floorwork. It's really great.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes.

Farasha Hanem

This may seem like common sense to everybody else, but I didn't realize how important this is:

DON'T PRACTICE IN FRONT OF A MIRROR!

Okay, well you can for a little bit, but if you spend most of your practice balance time in front of a mirror, you will first develop an eye for when the sword starts to slip or get off balance. You don't want this. You want to develop a FEEL for it, which comes sometime after your eye can see it.

You can see it start to slip, so you make tiny microadjustments. But then when you take the mirror away -- oh noes!

Turn around and work your balance practice where it's just you and the wall. That way you will FEEL it move and adjust itself.

Please learn from my mistake. I dropped my sword in a restaurant, about 3 feet from a little girl, because I'd been practicing only in front of the mirror. Thank heavens it was just a cheapie and unsharpened. I shudder to think what damage my new Hanwei would do in the same situation!

Wow, thanks for the heads-up, Aziyade. We don't have a lot of mirrors in our bedrooms, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem, and with spring around the corner, I can practice outside in the back yard (don't know what the apartment manager or neighbors will think, but ah, well... XD ).

BoiseShan: How do you feed a sword? oO??

Shara

Sword dance is a lot like striptease..... you want a lot of drama before the big show! If your sword has a beautiful sheath, bring the sword out in its sheath and dramatically "undress" it in front of the audience. Learn to twirl your sword (not like a baton, but as a fighter might). Make sure your sword handle is well made and well anchored to the sword before you twirl. I have had handles come off of cheaply made swords. Watch your costuming choices... you don't want to trip or slide on your costume... you don't want to expose yourself (I've seen some awfully skimpy sword costumes!)... and some of your costumes may provide convenient balance points for your sword (for example, if your belt is thick, you may be able to rest the sword on the ledge of the belt and do a hip roll). Also watch your costume for things that may get caught on your sword when you are dancing or twirling the sword. Have fun! Practice a lot! And safety first! (Make sure everyone is back a reasonable distance at all times! Okay, unless you are bringing someone up to try it themselves, THEN you need to make sure you are able to grab the sword at any given moment to protect the person!)

...If your sword has a beautiful sheath, bring the sword out in its sheath and dramatically "undress" it in front of the audience. ... Also watch your costume for things that may get caught on your sword when you are dancing or twirling the sword.

I only recently started sword and the sword I bought has a lovely red sheath. I found a clip on Youtube of a dancer who balanced the sheathed sword before bringing it out. I thought I added it to my favourites so I could study it later - but when I went back, I couldn't find it again! grrr!

I know what you mean about things that get caught. I prefer wearing sleeves (to cover my tuckshop arms) and have some lovely floaty ones - none of which I can wear when dancing with my sword.

Hexx

Wow! Thank you all for your amazing tips! (You have all helped more than I expected!)

Although I am still beginning with sword dance, it helps to avoid falling into bad habits.

Thank you all so much! :)