I wanna learn belly dancing!

Totaln3wb88

Hi everyone,

so i have always wanted to learn belly dancing.... but i cant even dance, and have never even been interested in dance in the past. I have always been a tomboy and preferred other types of physcial activities. However, i have always admired belly dancing. The first time i saw it... i was glued to watching it, and immediatley i thought " I have to try this." Of course no one would expect me to learn belly dancing because i'm the shy and non-girly type... but i feel like i have to learn, the moves are just so captivating and sensual. It's sexy, but in a graceful and modest way. I just love how it celebrates the beauty of the female form.

I have always been proud of my body, but i never knew how to express this. I figured belly dancing is a great gateway towards self-expression. I also want to be in touch with my feminine side... i just hope its not too late for me to learn because i'm 21 years old (keep in mind that i have no dancing experience.)

I live in Colorado, and i dont know how to look for an instructor. I heard of Sadie but i'm afraid she might be too expensive... but i'll keep looking. Anyway, just introduce yourself and share any input if you have any. :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. You are never to old to learn to dance. Many bellydancers don't start until later in life, I was in my 50s, of course I wish I had found BD long before that - but better late than never. I had never learnt any other dance form either, I danced socially as in going to some venue where you got up and did your thing on the dance floor, but that was all.

You are still young and there is no reason whatsoever why you can't learn BD. Go for it! Have fun. Good luck in your search for a teacher.

Shira.net.net has a resource page which may guide you on your search
Find Belly Dancing Teachers and Performers all Over the World! Belly Dancing Lessons and Dancers! Search for Belly Dancers! and some members on the forum also may be able to point you in the right direction.
~Mosaic

gypsy

I understand Sadie was/is an athlete before becoming a belly dancer, which may be a reason she is such a phenomenal dancer.
Dance is a physical 'sport', so definetly give it a go. There might be community ed classes in your area if you want to try something inexpensive.
Good luck!

Totaln3wb88

to the forum. You are never to old to learn to dance. Many bellydancers don't start until later in life, I was in my 50s, of course I wish I had found BD long before that - but better late than never. I had never learnt any other dance form either, I danced socially as in going to some venue where you got up and did your thing on the dance floor, but that was all.

You are still young and there is no reason whatsoever why you can't learn BD. Go for it! Have fun. Good luck in your search for a teacher.

Shira.net.net has a resource page which may guide you on your search
Find Belly Dancing Teachers and Performers all Over the World! Belly Dancing Lessons and Dancers! Search for Belly Dancers! and some members on the forum also may be able to point you in the right direction.
~Mosaic

lol,thanks so much for the website! So true, better late than never. That is very motivating... another thing that stood out to me about BD was that all women of any age, size, and shape can do it.

Kharmine

I live in Colorado, too. My teacher has got to be close to 60, and can out-dance all the young'uns in her classes.

Farasha Hanem

I didn't start taking classes until I was 46, although I'd struggled with instructional DVD's since 2001, and I have no previous dance background, either. :) By the way, welcome to the forum. ;)

LunaXJJ

Before learning belly dance, I couldn't dance my way out of a paper bag. Best of luck, belly dance is hard work, but a lot of fun. Just keep practicing, and you'll be shimmying in no time. :3

onela

21 isn't too old to start belly dance. Go find a teacher that you want to learn from, and give it a go! :)

Totaln3wb88

Thanks for all the replies, guys. They are all helpful... yeah, belly dancing looks really hard. I have nothing useful to really do with my time, so i wouldn't mind devoting rest of my time for this..

Yshka

Hi dear and welcome to the forum! Enjoy browsing the boards and go find yourself a teacher! :cool:
Most teachers I think will offer try-out classes so you can see if one is the right teacher for you. Our hostess Salome has a place too containing teacher-listings, and I remember seeing Colorado there somewhere. Go to Belly Dance Classes. Or... ask Kharmine :D

Big welcome from tiny little Holland :)