Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emma_Williams View Post
    Thanks Kharis...its good to know its a brain coordination thing and not just me being a complete dumb ass!
    It's nearly always brain coordination. Our bodies can do most moves within reason in this dance, its not like we are asking ourselves to do back flips or cartwheels. It's mostly within our capabilities. It's also about muscle memory, which comes from repetitive drilling. You will get it. It's a bit like those strange puzzles you stare at for ages until suddenly, the image jumps out at you, and you think, 'How come I didn't see that first time, it's so obvious'.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean a hip drop or rock or a Souheir Zaki chonk? The chonk has a slide - the other two don't. With drops and rocks the down is an illusion built on timing not on what the hips are doing - you go down, pause, then casually sneak it back up. (The other hip is joined - you can't have one up and one neutral!!)

The hardest thing for most students to get with the rock is not to go out to the side. The movement should stay inside the width of your hips so you have to co-ordinate the adductors pushing in at the same time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bellyfester View Post
    Oh stop it Emma! i need tips off you with your ballet training!

To do that post Ive just been doing the moves whilst in the office kitchen making a nice cuppa. multitasking is the way!
    Why... are you taking up ballet?
    Last edited by gisela; 01-26-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: fix code

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Why... are you taking up ballet?
    yeah I'm ditching bellydance. fancy something easier!

Want them elegant arms goddamit! my scrawny efforts just get into creepy positions, not helped by being double jointed in areas.

You seen the film The Ring? I can do an excellent Sadeko creepy crawl. Maybe I can incorporate that into a fusion piece for July....

Btw isn't this thread just highlighting all the variations that you can have for a simple downward hip movement. 'mazing!

Post Thanks / Like

that walk is creepy fester!! I soooo think you should do a horror piece for the fusion hafla...i would pay pretty pennies to see that crawl in a hafla hahaha

hips still aint moving down lol had class last night and it just aint happening. I think I might go back to ballet at this rate lol

Post Thanks / Like

Would teaching the muscles on the sides of the torso to simply relax help? My muscles tend to use any excuse to sieze up as if ready to spring into action, no matter how counter-productive that may be. So even if they are flexible enough to get the look you're after, the problem might be that your muscles on the intended "down" side are not simply, literally letting the hip drop. Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12