Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A new student needs to know what to look for. S/he needs names not just not just looking dredging through all the dross on Youtube.
    I'd say look for good dancers in performance..well known like current favourites Randa,Camelia and older favouites Fifi Abdou, Soheir Zaki,Mona el Said then the "Golden Age" of Samia Gamal,Naima Akef and Tahia Cariocha.
    American dancers such as Saidie,Jillina and Ava Fleming and tribal dancers Fat Chance and Gypsy Caravan and Fusion artistes such as Rachel Brice.
    I am sure other members here can recommend Turkish and Lebanese dancers and better tuition clips.
    Youtube is a very useful aid but for some just starting without guidance how do they know where to start. I hope all teachers give advice in some width and detail not just "Go and Look ate Youtube"

  2. #12
    Moderator Farasha Hanem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the heartland of the USA
    Posts
    4,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Okay, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I can't help but wonder: why do you want to "be ahead in the class"? Are you a competitive person? Nothing wrong with that, as long as it's healthy competition. Or are you worried about embarrassing yourself in class? If so, don't worry, everyone else in your class will be a newbie, too.

    Foreknowledge of a subject is great, but as has already been pointed out, there's an awful lot of sludge out there, not just on YouTube, but in other sources as well, online and off. I began in 2001 with a couple of Neena and Veena instructional VHS tapes, and collected an array of DVD's and books, as well as googling the internet for source material. Thank goodness I found Shira's site, All About Belly Dancing! Learn to Belly Dance! Shira's Bellydance Site and this forum. Both sites help me tremendously in sorting out the facts from the drivel. For instance, almost all the books I own on bellydance give a pseudo-history of the dance that is not supported by fact (in fact, Shira recently did a review of one of the books I have).

    By the time I started classes in 2007, I had a pretty good background knowledge on bellydance, had a good collection of music, and could pull off the basic moves. However, just knowing how to do the moves is not enough. Even though I could already layer a couple of moves together at a time, and knew a few combinations, I still could not put together a cohesive, improvisational dance, and I knew it (that's why I was there to take classes in the first place). I guess what I'm trying to say is, unless you're already proficient at bellydance, you're not going to be able to walk in and know everything all at once---if you did, why bother with classes? So relax, enjoy, and don't worry about your first class; I don't think your teacher's gonna give you a pop quiz at the end.
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 01-27-2010 at 09:34 PM.

  3. #13
    Member prince ali baba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Shimmy On FitTV

    I don't know if you get Fitness TV,but I do. They have a belly dance workout show on there called Shimmy. I've never taken a belly dance class in my life,but I've mimicked some moves I saw from youtube videos. Whenever I get a chance, I practice by watching Shimmy on Fit TV. Shimmy is a real workout and can be a little tough to follow,but I would suggest it if you get FitTV. Also watching youtube videos can help as well.

  4. #14
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if you get Fitness TV,but I do. They have a belly dance workout show on there called Shimmy. I've never taken a belly dance class in my life,but I've mimicked some moves I saw from youtube videos. Whenever I get a chance, I practice by watching Shimmy on Fit TV. Shimmy is a real workout and can be a little tough to follow,but I would suggest it if you get FitTV. Also watching youtube videos can help as well.
    YES but WHICH ones? Sorry but this just exasperates me
    Last edited by Shanazel; 01-29-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: fix quotes

  5. #15
    Member prince ali baba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Youtube Videos

    You might want to try practicing with some Shimmy TV Clips on Youtube. Those seem to help me as well. Also maybe try practicing with any belly dance performance videos you can find on youtube. I sometimes do that. Or you can always do a youtube search on belly dance instruction videos and see what you can find. Youtube should have some belly dance instructional videos up which might help.

  6. #16
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prince ali baba View Post
    You might want to try practicing with some Shimmy TV Clips on Youtube. Those seem to help me as well. Also maybe try practicing with any belly dance performance videos you can find on youtube. I sometimes do that. Or you can always do a youtube search on belly dance instruction videos and see what you can find. Youtube should have some belly dance instructional videos up which might help.
    But lots of what you see on Youtube is total rubbish so it's important to direct new student directly to what IS valid and worthy. I am sure that makes sense, doesn't it?

  7. #17
    Member prince ali baba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I have to disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    But lots of what you see on Youtube is total rubbish so it's important to direct new student directly to what IS valid and worthy. I am sure that makes sense, doesn't it?
    I'm sorry,but I have to disagree. There maybe somethings on youtube that is total rubbish,but I wouldn't call a lot of it total rubbish. The Shimmy clips aren't rubbish. Also most of the male belly dance videos I've seen on youtube aren't rubbish. Jamil I think is a good example of a male dancer who has performance videos on youtube that aren't rubbish. However I'm a man,so that probably doesn't help this girl out to be using examples of male dancers,so go with Shimmy TV. There's quite a few clips up of it on youtube if you don't get FitTV.

  8. #18
    V.I.P. lizaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prince ali baba View Post
    I'm sorry,but I have to disagree. There maybe somethings on youtube that is total rubbish,but I wouldn't call a lot of it total rubbish. The Shimmy clips aren't rubbish. Also most of the male belly dance videos I've seen on youtube aren't rubbish. Jamil I think is a good example of a male dancer who has performance videos on youtube that aren't rubbish. However I'm a man,so that probably doesn't help this girl out to be using examples of male dancers,so go with Shimmy TV. There's quite a few clips up of it on youtube if you don't get FitTV.
    Yes we disagree there IS a lot of rubbish there is also good stuff and useful and if you have a student you would tell them to look at the good stuff surely.
    Again I disagree with you, there is every value in a female student looking at a male student who is a good dancer..the moves may look different but if the technique is good and the personality attractive he will be valuable and enjoyable.
    If you take your arguent to its' conclusion, why should we ever study with a male teacher...I would be a poorer dancer and person without the tuition I have had from Khaled Mahmoud and the pleasure of watching him.

  9. #19
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,228
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    Yes we disagree there IS a lot of rubbish there is also good stuff and useful and if you have a student you would tell them to look at the good stuff surely.
    Again I disagree with you, there is every value in a female student looking at a male student who is a good dancer..the moves may look different but if the technique is good and the personality attractive he will be valuable and enjoyable.
    If you take your arguent to its' conclusion, why should we ever study with a male teacher...I would be a poorer dancer and person without the tuition I have had from Khaled Mahmoud and the pleasure of watching him.
    This dance is not physically or technically performed any differently with male and female. And some the finest teachers of this dance are men.

  10. #20
    Member Afrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prince ali baba View Post
    I'm sorry,but I have to disagree. There maybe somethings on youtube that is total rubbish,but I wouldn't call a lot of it total rubbish. The Shimmy clips aren't rubbish. Also most of the male belly dance videos I've seen on youtube aren't rubbish. Jamil I think is a good example of a male dancer who has performance videos on youtube that aren't rubbish. However I'm a man,so that probably doesn't help this girl out to be using examples of male dancers,so go with Shimmy TV. There's quite a few clips up of it on youtube if you don't get FitTV.
    On a good day I'd say more than half of what is tagged as belly dance is rubbish. When I'm feeling grumpy I'd say 90%. A new student cannot often distinguish - look at all the newbies who think Shakira is a belly dancer for a start!

    There are lots of physically dangerous dancing out there - poor posture, exaggerated moves, harsh jarring "dance". A person who doesn't know what they are doing could seriously injure themselves.

    I've never seen ShimmyTV - but if it is exciting enough for TV I suspect it is too extreme for most beginners - who don't have an understanding of safe warmups, the basic movement vocab or body awareness.

    And the good dancers are often too subtle for a raw beginner to see - let alone copy.

    If you are starting without a teacher you need something that starts at the very beginning - with a good warmup, and lots of repetition of the simple moves. For this you need a good 3 hour video.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •