Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Time spent practising

---
    Last edited by MichelleD; 09-24-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

First, let me say I am an instructor and troupe director as well as performer, so now I dance about four hours a day, seven days a week . When I was an average bellydance student, I would invest about two hours a day to practicing and three hours per week of class time. The answer is obviously going to be different for everyone depending on what level of dancing they're at ie hobbyists, students, troupe members, professionals, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to dance for a couple of hours a day. It's my relaxing time for me. A couple of my children also dance, so more often than not I end up dancing with them too

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

depends for me what my work schedule is. When I am on contract somewhere I tend to spend a little less time in rehersal because I dance six or seven days a week and need to save my body for show time. During my breaks I tend toward a five day a week plan with two to four hour sessions of practice. It's more important how I spend my time rather than how much time I spend...

Post Thanks / Like

Well lets see, right now I'm doing two hours of practice on Mondays and Fridays as well as the occasional Saturday or Sunday. Wednesday/Thursday anywhere from half an hour to around 45 minutes.
    I probably spend anywhere from another 10 minutes to a few hours per day of what I call "dead time" practice. This includes practicing shimmies, isolations and the like while folding clothes, doing dishes, standing in line at the store, brushing my teeth, all those mindless chores you can pretty much do on auto pilot that we get stuck with every day...you get the idea
    This also doesn't include the 3 hours I spend teaching beginning classes on Tuesday nights or the half hour of stretching I do those nights after I get home so that I'm not to tight to teach my intermeadiate class on Wednesdays.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably get in about 2 hours a day of dancing either with a DVD or just me with the music.... but I also do a good 45 minute cardio step workout in the mornings too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleD View Post
    I try to get at least an hour in a day..but don't feel it is enough!
    How come you don't practice more if you want to? Is it because of time? Time is always our problem, isn't it?

Very well.... I dance for one and a half hour, every other day. For some time I danced every day; but it got me really tired and there were so many things I wanted to do but didn't have the time to because of my dance. I feel that one and a half hour is perfect for me and my body agrees ^_^; because it has to rest. But of course, not a day goes by without me dancing, if only to one song or two.

Post Thanks / Like

---
    Last edited by MichelleD; 09-24-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really good question, Michelle.

I am rather sporadic, due to needing to work, and being in school. So, my solution is to take as many classes as I can. I schedule myself for early shifts on Tuesdays so I can take the intermediate class after work, I am off Wednesdays so I can take the advanced morning class and go to my troupe practices at night, and take both the intermediate and advanced classes on Sundays. I do also practice at home, but I know that if for some reason I'm too exhausted, I still get at least 5 hours a week of good solid drills and practice in.

I find that commiting to recitals and performances is really motivating for me to practice at home as well, so I don't look bad when I perform.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have a two-year old daughter who is demanding of my time during the day, and a little jealous of my dancing. My practice time is usually about 45 minutes in the evening after her bedtime. I also get "stolen moments" from work where I can come home and work on choreography while my mom babysits my little one.

She is getting more used to my dancing, and sometimes wants to "shake" with one of my scarves. I'll make her a dancer yet! Then we can practice together. Being a working mom definitely takes it's toll on my practice time, but she's worth the sacrifice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast