Learning Turkish dance styles?

Ariadne

I am looking for opinions here so any feedback is welcome. I have been learning on and off for about 2 years now. My teacher, whom I adore, teaches "Turkish, Rom, and Tribal". Two problems...

My teacher tends to choreograph using all three and with my lack of concentration (yes the fault is mine. I am one of those students you tell things too and unless I write it down I'm not likely to remember) ofttimes I'm not to sure which parts come from which style. I've been studying videos of various styles so I think I am starting to get a clue. I love the Turkish (and Rom) but am less keen on the modern elements. I really need some good resources for independent study in the Turkish (and Rom) style.

That brings me to second problem. I have always supplemented my class studies with frequent home study using videos. (At my teachers recommendation I have used several of Neon's video's, Drills Drills Drills, and a few core strengthening videos.) The problem is that the recent economy has resulted in my having to stop my classes, there just isn't the money for it, so now video instruction is all I have.

So here is the feedback part. What resources would anyone recommend, including history and music theory, for someone interested in traditional Turkish BD while doing independent studies?

Ariadne

Thanks Jane!

Here is hoping things will change and I can get back to class soon. :pray:

Now I only have one more question. What is the difference between Arabic and Turkish zilling? I have heard a few things here and there about leading hands but nothing certain.

onela

I'm having a dumb day, and thought this thread was about learning to *speak* Turkish. :redface:

Shanazel

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So did I, Onela. Didn't realize it wasn't until you wrote about having a "dumb day." :doh:

Marya

Thanks Jane!

Here is hoping things will change and I can get back to class soon. :pray:

Now I only have one more question. What is the difference between Arabic and Turkish zilling? I have heard a few things here and there about leading hands but nothing certain.

The Turkish DVDs I have experience with are Dalia Carella and Artimis Mourat. I know there are others out there but I haven't seen them yet. Artemis I think includes zilling in one of her videos. Dalia is a bit of a fusionista but the instructional videos I have are very good and I think they are a good place to start.

my observations of Artemis when she is zilling is it is primarily with the 9/8 music and fast as blazes.

Marya

onela

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So did I, Onela. Didn't realize it wasn't until you wrote about having a "dumb day." :doh:

LOL! I feel better then! I've recently taken up Capoeira and they talk about learning (Brazilian) Portugese all the time on their forums, so my brain hadn't switched gears when I was clicking around here. I thought, "Learn to speak Turkish? How clever! What a great skill for a ME dancer!"

I would like to study Turkish *belly dancing* some time too, though :)

Ariadne

Yeah, I've read reviews on both of those. The second isn't really recommended for learning authentic Turkish.
I've now ordered Artimis Mourat's instruction CD for zilling and am waiting on pins and needles for it to arrive. Wish me luck.

I'm having a dumb day, and thought this thread was about learning to *speak* Turkish. :redface:

That wouldn't hurt either. ;)