Bella v. Lila

danya

I've been to their place in Istanbul;Saw hundreds of costumes there: they SAVE big time on the beading and hand stitching work and in my opinions, are posers!!! the only thing I like is their bugle beads on some of the fringe, but hey, hardly any embroidery, one miserable paisley, and 2 crystals never justifies their outrageous prices!!! they are bit of a scam in my opinion.:confused:

gisela

Super Moderator
Wow really?! Most of the Bellas I've seen are very elaborate. I haven't seen that many in real life though, mostly on pictures.

maria_harlequin

Did you see a less elaborate Bella, danya? I've seen some Bellas that aren't as heavily embroidered but they're usually A LOT cheaper than the heavily embroidered ones that are well known (around $400 per costume). As a costumer myself and having friends in the dance business, her prices are actually pretty average considering the amount of Swarovski crystals she uses and bugle beads aren't cheap either not the mention the amount of time it takes to create fringe. Latin dancers pay much more for their costumes, usually over a $1000 and if you compare it with Bella's costumes...we're pretty much getting a good deal.

Jujube

Danya seems to be very enamored of one particular costume maker, and mentions her in nearly every post. Dissing a well-known and enjoyed designer increases the perception of being a shill. That may not be the case, but that's the impression I'm getting.

lizaj

Danya is very good at slagging off other designers and plugging Lila. I wonder why? I am sure Lila has some very nice costumes but many on her site were like the ones you can pick up very reasonably priced in Turkish baaars..some being nicer than others of course. I have no problem with "trad" fringy Turkish bedlah but it doesn't suit a lot of us and the Egyptian models on the site also don't really resemble the Emans and Amira El Khattan to be found on Dahlal and other traders.
There may be some lovely costumes on Lila and I am sure she has satisfied customers but after her number one fan Danya 's behaviour on this forum, I wouldn't bother. Good tactic that girl!;):rolleyes:

danya

I barely Saw Lila's costumes Mentioned anywhere

So that's why I did: I bought 15 costumes from her. I am not a shill----goddess forbid! nor get commission--just an admirer of the quality I just think her costumes are underappreciated! I dance in Istanbul, Beirut and Cairo and more: the ones in "bars" aren't even close to hers: hers are heavy, well stitched, always faceted sequins instead of the flat ones that lose colors and always with sparkling or iridescence! Bella barely uses crystals; that's why you have to see them in person. I saw how long Bella one takes to make: literally half the time of Lila's. $1000 for a costume is outrageous. :naghty:

Safran

I saw how long Bella one takes to make: literally half the time of Lila's.

I am not an expert on costumes - I've only seen a few Bellas in my life (but have been very impressed with them) and never ever heard of Lila, however I'd like to not something here... The speed of making a costume is a two-fold thing. Of course, we like to see our costumes get some dedication, but then again, we want them fast (I know what I am talking about - I am expecting a Legend costume arrive any time soon, you can imagine my anxiety ;))... And more experienced seamstresses tend to do things faster.

Once again, I am not taking sides here - just trying to get you to see things from different perspectives.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It is obvious this is a a topic being "debated" on the merits of costumes a & b, therefore have moved the thread to Debate.

Market Place is for bellydance items being sold, not debating the merits of one designer against another.
~Mosaic