Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What veil and zills DVDs do you like (or dislike)?

My instructor so far has not touched on zills at all, and only the teeniest bit with veil. I feel I need to begin working on these skills on my own. What instructional DVDs do you recommend (or recommend staying away from)?

Post Thanks / Like

I like "Bellydance with Veils" by Sarah Skinner a lot. Here is some blurb on it -
    Belly Dance with Veil DVD | Shakemyday

I only have one with zills and It is very basic, I am sure there are others out there that are better.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I've got "Veil with Katia Smooth as silk" and "Veil with Aziza" and FCBD vol. 3 Zils.

If you're interested, I could write a review of them tomorrow evening (as I need to sleep right now).
    Last edited by Daimona; 02-03-2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Removing images
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, reviews would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered "fabulous four yard veils" with Shoshanna and "how to become a killer ziller" with Michelle Joyce. I'll post my opinions when I they arrive and I've had a chance to play with them.

I have Drills X3 with Michelle, which touches on zills. I really like it, and it helped me immensely with playing the 3-3-7 and 3-1-3-1-3 rhythms, but it isn't a dedicated zilling dvd.

Another zill resource I've got is Jamila Salimpour's CD. It's very good, and I really should work with it more often!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Additional (non-DVD) resources for zills

Jujube, someone once told me that Yahoo's creators picked that name to remind them "You Always Have Other Options" . . .

I am not a master of zills, not in the slightest, but, I have found that I learn best when I take the approach of trying to learn to play as if it were any other instrument, not as part of the dance. That is, learning by understanding the musical components, time signatures, etc., then studying using those tools.

So, the first tool I got was "Mastering Finger Cymbals" by Mary Ellen Donald. (I just learned she has the basic book too, I shall probably order that from her!) The "Mastering" tools include both a book and a double CD, so you can read and hear. I need some more musical theory to understand all that she is saying but this helps.

Other tools in my arsenal are CD's that break down the study of rhythms of the Middle East. I have gotten:

"25 essential rhythms" by Uncle Mafufo, who uses the CD to break down the rhythm and explain it. I have used it some, and I like how he avoids embellishing too soon -- if you add on to the rhythm to quickly, "young ears" like mine get lost.

The "Arabic Rhythms" series by Nourhan Sharif (and Karim Nagi, depending on the volume in question. The CD's vary slightly by volume, but each track is a different rhythm that is called, (most) counted, then played slowly, mid tempo, fast, then as a song. My comment above about getting lost can apply here, if I am not paying full attention.

That said, Karim does have a DVD for drummers which some dancer friends found useful; but, I do not own it.

If it is truly a DVD that you want, my friends around here swear by Artemis. The one class I took with her did not use zills, but her performance that night was breathtaking! She is one talented player who can also dance, too!

Regards,

Anala

Post Thanks / Like

Those are good thoughts, Anala, about respecting zills as a musical instrument rather than just a dance prop. I do certainly plan to approach it that way. I have a good background in music and can read sheet music, both percussion and the regular kind. Thanks for the recommendations!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    Those are good thoughts, Anala, about respecting zills as a musical instrument rather than just a dance prop. I do certainly plan to approach it that way. I have a good background in music and can read sheet music, both percussion and the regular kind. Thanks for the recommendations!
    Then I am soooo jealous, for it is something I struggle with!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to work up to them, a very advanced series of drills is on Z-Helene's video. She will really make you think of cymbals as a musical instrument, with many voices. Working with her video helped me break out of dancing with just "patterns" -- as I learned from Jamila. Although I agree her CD is excellent!!

Post Thanks / Like

AVOID Petite-Jamila's veil video. It's very basic and artsy and won't teach you anything.

Aziza's and Sarah's dvd are pretty much the comprehensive veil technique course. I don't have Shoshanna's for some reason but she is an unbelievably exquisite veil dancer, who really DANCES with the veil and doesn't just swish it around. Get her performances and study them. She's a true artist when it comes to veil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast