Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zills

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone, so much for your tips. I'm going to try to schedule a good amount of practice every day.

Thank you Kashmir for the great breakdown!

Thanks Moon for the link.

tjayedances and BigJim thanks for the inspiration suitable fore a beginner like me!

Post Thanks / Like

Resources - I LOVE MIchelle Joyce's Killer Ziller DVD and highly recommend it. I also have used Jamila Salimpour's CD but don't think the book is worth the $ and didn't really help me any. I do like the book but I'm into having complete sets of things. The CD is enough. I think it's available as a download on Suhaila's site. Mary Ellen Donald Mary Ellen Donald Home Page has been highly recommended by people for years. It didn't work for my learning style at all but I know lots of people swear by it. I think Shira might have a review on her site. Mimi Spencer has a wonderful book and CD!!!! It's a different take on things and I have really enjoyed it. I just bought The Dancing Cymbalist by Jenna Woods and when I go through it i'll let you know. It looks good from my flip through.

To improve with zills you must pratice every day. Try to play along with at least 2 songs or so at first and work up to a longer session. Make sure you are MOVING and not sitting or standing still while playing. I go through the basic ballet arms while walking or doing some sort of foot work. Try walking fast (doubletime to the music) or slow (half time or quarter time with the music) while keeping an even pace with your zills.

I did the 20 min zill drill twice a day or so off of Michelle Joyce's DVD and that helped me immensely with my speed and accuracy.
    YouTube - How to Become a Killer Ziller - Belly Dance Finger Cymbals
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexx View Post
    (please forgive me if this has been posted before)

So, I bought myself a set of zills, but I'll be damned if I can make them work.

I learned that I'm supposed to slide them rather than clapping them, but outside of that I'm pretty lost.

I find that when I slide them, I get them tangled or on weird angles when I slide them back.

Can anyone help me, or direct me to some good resources?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    I don't think it'd be too much of a problem - if the choreo stands on its own. Trying to learn two new things at once would be a nighmare - each would interfere with the other. That said, personally I'd teach the zils first
    I agree with this. I mean, you can belly dance already, right?

When you're learning a difficult routine, you learn the hardest bit first (the feet) then add the arms. So when you're learning a routine with zills, learn the hardest bit first (zills) then add the feet, then the arms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    I agree with this. I mean, you can belly dance already,right?
    Yes, but I still stink. XD

Seriously, though, I've been taking classes for 2 1/2 years now. I'm beginning to see some progress, although I still have trouble with such things like layering mayas and figure 8's with a shimmy. I agree that learning the zills will probably be the hardest part, and I wish we'd learned that first. Hopefully my background and training in music will help me in learning the zills.

Post Thanks / Like

Farasha, usually when I play cymbals I improvise the dance, but when I have done choreographies with cymbals, I prefer to learn each section of the choreography WITH the cymbals. To me it's easier that way because you're learning "chunks" at a time.

When I'm WRITING a choreography, I start with the cymbal track though. I treat cymbals as another voice in the music, and I try to make sure that voice doesn't overpower or act in disharmony with the music. So I write the patterns I hear that I think would work well with the music, then I start writing the dance choreography. I've tried doing the choreography first, but that drove me crazy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12