Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I also work with musicians who always ask the same questions. Listen to your body, start basic, and practice as long as you can. I always recomend new player or dancer to practice something simple for a least 20 min. Then add on fun stuff. For dancers the basics are timing and the correct moves (whereas musicians it the scales). Worry about layering after you have that down.

Post Thanks / Like

No, her hip drop 'went' because she forgot to do a hip drop and ended up doing a knee bend. Silly me! Use a mirror, or video yourself if you have to take time away from class or a teacher to make sure you're doing the movement correctly. Also make sure if you do video yourself to video yourself from more than one angle (front and back, and side as well!).
    I do practice 30 minutes or so each day, and throughout the day I do bits and pieces of drills.

Post Thanks / Like

Bits and pieces of drills, indeed. Sounds innocuous, BUT:

You Morroccan walk down the hall at work when you think no one is looking, right, Bronnie? Hip drops at the water fountain, camels on the way to an appointment, shimmies in your chair while using the computer, subtle mayas while talking on the phone, finger ripples when waving good-bye at the end of the day.

You, my dear, are obsessed, addicted, and compulsively devoted to BD. In other words: one of US.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Don't forget shimmying in the shower! That's my favorite!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stepbystep View Post
    mis-drilled at home until her hip drop went!

does this mean she injured herself?
    No, she literally ended up doing a one side plie instead of a hip drop.

Post Thanks / Like

its realy important that you have a good teacher to explain good how it all works and break down the movements, if you practise wrong it can take you forever...it is differant for every person,depend on your body aswell if you did any sport or exercise before ? is you body used to ,,moving,,? is your body ,,tensed?,, are you in good contact with your body? that sound weird but it is treu.....sometimes i have new students and on the first hour they can shymmy,but travel steps can take them weeks to master...and vice versa....you must understand when to relax the body for some things and when not....leave layering and things like that for later for later...dont worry about complicated things in the beginning it can be realy putting you off....go slow and then you get rewarded if you body can do it ,then you will be encouraged to do more difficult things......you have to be focussed and you have to be the boss ,not your body has to be the boss!!...you will get there i promise!!!! i was wondering perhaps a helpline where people can videochat and practise together ? yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12