I need Help.

Alaya

I realy need your help. I have just been asked to be a bellydance teacher at lokal fitness center, for beginers classes. I went there about 2 moths ego becaus I wanted to organise workshops to show how does bellydance look like and to encoruge people to join classes in other city. But it turned out that the owner loved the ide and wants to have weekely classes. :shok:
It is wery small town and I am realy happy and excited, That I could show how beutifull and wonderfull bellydance is. but I do not know If I am good enough. I have been danceing for 15moths. Is that enough to became teacher for beginers? I do not want to quit my normal bellydance classes as I know I still need to learn. Help, Shoul I accept the offer.:confused:

Mariesaffron

No, I will suggest that you tell the owner to give you more time to get beter, tell him you can handle once a week classes only at the time being. do not give him to much explanations, it will only confuse him, and you can look insecure and unglamorous. good look. marie

Teacher

Hi Alaya, One of the standards that experienced members of the forum promote is not teaching too soon. There are so many things that teachers bring to the classroom other than knowledge of dance steps. From my experience, my teacher asked me to teach beginners because she wanted to add more classes and couldn't teach them all. She already had a curriculum complete with music. She paid for the group of us to take instructor classes from a respected teacher with loads of experience(Shakira of Columbus). Even so I felt I wasn't ready to commit to teaching until I felt ready to give of myself and be committed in the long run to honor the cultural roots of the dance . So I began my own research from other sources and learn as much as I can and I continue to do so.
As a teacher you must have empathy and patience as well as honesty and intergrity. This isn't about you but about the dance. The owner will not have this level of understanding. As a Teacher you must also stand up for the integrity of the dance on a consistent basis.
As a teacher you must create a lesson plan with regards to the style you are teaching. Do you have a extensive music library? Can you direct students to find the appropriate music?
Can you identify the obstacles that can impede a student's learning? is it their posture,attitude, limited flexiblity etc? Can you correct or remove those obstacles?
Can you be encouraging yet firm while teaching Oriental Dance?
What are your primary goals to teach? What are the students' goals in learning?
These are just a few questions to ask yourself as you make your decision. If you feel honestly that you are not ready then maybe your answer should be no and maybe refer the job to your teacher. Just my thoughts, Im sure other fourm members will also give you good advice. Plead take heed.
Yasmine

Moon

Hi Alaya,

I think 15 months is probably too soon. Especially because it looks like you don't feel confident enough yourself.
Maybe you could bring the owner of the fitness centre in contact with a professional teacher? Or you could ask your own teacher what she thinks about the situation?
xx
Moon

Salome

Administrator
Hi Alaya,

I think the beginning level is the most important because the dance student will build everything on the fundamentals. So I think it is crucial that a teacher with a deep and well rounded understanding of the dance, music, culture and core elements be teaching beginners. Typically it takes some years to reach a point where a person is learned enough to begin teaching. What about passing the offer on to your teacher?