Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I found her again.

YouTube - VTS 01 1

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, she can do locks, yoga poses, the splits and is capable of keeping up shimmy variations till the cows come home. But her transitions need a lot of smoothing, her veil work resembles someone shaking out laundry, and if a dancer cannot get up and down off the floor gracefully, she is better off remaining on her feet.

I get the impression that this is a woman who considers herself a "natural" and doesn't think she needs dance training in order to perform. Sad thing is, she could probably learn to dance very nicely if she ever bothered to study.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Yes, I thought that as well. I love Tribal Fusion well performed, this wasn't. My honest thoughts in the order they occurred:
    • Crotch and bosoms...
    • Has she considered changing to Modern Dance? She would fit right in...
    • I would die if that was my teacher.
    I couldn't get past the crotch, THAT was enough for me. I didn't even know there was a veil part.

When a routine starts out with someone's...errrrr..."hoo-ha"...facing me, that's the time to get up and leave.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I just don't go for that sort of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I suppose what I am trying to assertian is... what makes this woman controversial in the Tribal/Fusion scene?

How do people in this dance genre define their boudaries?

I know clearly why I would not consider this 'belly dance'...how does that apply to Tribal? is it therefore totally acceptable fusion and so, do they all have their rightful place under one big umberella.

Is there any connection whatsoever between this woman and Fifi Abdou?

Post Thanks / Like

I was intrigued by the new bellydance genre, so I looked it up. It is based on the Dune novels by Frank Herbert where the Bene Gesserit are some kind of sisterhood who train their bodies to obtain powers and abilitities that seem magical to outsiders.

Thus spoke St. Alia-of-the-Knife: "The Reverend Mother must combine the seductive wiles of a courtesan with the untouchable majesty of a virgin goddess, holding these attributes in tension so long as the powers of her youth endure. For when youth and beauty have gone, she will find that the place-between, once occupied by tension, has become a wellspring of cunning and resourcefulness." ”

Now. that explains the martial arts aspect. It's also evidently pretensious clap trap. I don't think that I think that if you claim to have invented a new form of bellydance - you should not be surprised if you get criticised. It seems to me that it's not just a case of some people pushing the envelope tobreaking point without seeing the problem. some people just refuse to see that there is an envelope at all.

Matters of dress however, are usually better left to face to face and PM

From the other thread but better here!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jenc for the info. It is useful to have a context for what is going on but when we perform we have to accept we will be percieved in terms of how we present and that alone.

We must understand that when we perform something, we cannot just demand love in return... with performance comes responsibility, we also have to accept that people will analyse us, what we do and the way in which we do it. It is the nature of the art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Well I suppose what I am trying to assertian is... what makes this woman controversial in the Tribal/Fusion scene?

How do people in this dance genre define their boudaries?

I know clearly why I would not consider this 'belly dance'...how does that apply to Tribal? is it therefore totally acceptable fusion and so, do they all have their rightful place under one big umberella.

Is there any connection whatsoever between this woman and Fifi Abdou?
    i sent this to a friend of mine who is a well respected fusion dancer, she wasn't anymore posative about than us, so not sure where it fits in, can't be tribal fusion as there wasn't any tribal in it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    I was intrigued by the new bellydance genre, so I looked it up. It is based on the Dune novels by Frank Herbert where the Bene Gesserit are some kind of sisterhood who train their bodies to obtain powers and abilitities that seem magical to outsiders.

Thus spoke St. Alia-of-the-Knife: "The Reverend Mother must combine the seductive wiles of a courtesan with the untouchable majesty of a virgin goddess, holding these attributes in tension so long as the powers of her youth endure. For when youth and beauty have gone, she will find that the place-between, once occupied by tension, has become a wellspring of cunning and resourcefulness." ”

Now. that explains the martial arts aspect. It's also evidently pretensious clap trap. I don't think that I think that if you claim to have invented a new form of bellydance - you should not be surprised if you get criticised. It seems to me that it's not just a case of some people pushing the envelope tobreaking point without seeing the problem. some people just refuse to see that there is an envelope at all.

Matters of dress however, are usually better left to face to face and PM

From the other thread but better here!!!
    Having become a fan of Frank Herbert half a lifetime before I discovered this dance, I think the association with the Bene Gesserit offends me far more than the association with the dance.

To quote a scene between Paul Atreides and Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam:

Paul: "They tried and failed?"

Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam: "They tried and DIED."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post

I think you are being too thoughtful to this dancer. I have read those book (love those books), and this dancer is nothing like the Bene Gesserit. They are powerful women who are graceful, can fight, and are masters in politics. Which leave us with the original dilemma of how to categorize her dance..... ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kira_Majeric View Post
    I think you are being too thoughtful to this dancer. I have read those book (love those books), and this dancer is nothing like the Bene Gesserit. They are powerful women who are graceful, can fight, and are masters in politics. Which leave us with the original dilemma of how to categorize her dance..... ^_^
    And, they are women who would go through extensive training and discipline. They were bound to follow orders or die.

It's interesting to read the dancer's comments in response to critique, eh?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast