Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    And, they are women who would go through extensive training and discipline. They were bound to follow orders or die.

It's interesting to read the dancer's comments in response to critique, eh?
    Basically, they were nuns with attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Courtesan Nuns... with tude.

How did I miss the Bene Gesserit belly dance in the description? I found a Bene Gesserit manual for someone who wants to live their "code":
    Dance- Learn the basic Ballroom styles, several popular styles, several folk styles and one or two seductive dances. We recommend Arabic-Belly dancing or professional strip tease. One need not be able to tango at the professional level, but basic ability is highly useful. One trait for which the Bene Gesserit are known is their sense of grace and confidence in practically every situation. A sister cannot freeze with terror when the time comes to waltz, and she will be truly powerful if she can strip tease for a man without a hint of fear or embarrassment..
    What!!!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post

How did I miss the Bene Gesserit belly dance in the description? I found a Bene Gesserit manual for someone who wants to live their "code":
    Dance- Learn the basic Ballroom styles, several popular styles, several folk styles and one or two seductive dances. We recommend Arabic-Belly dancing or professional strip tease. One need not be able to tango at the professional level, but basic ability is highly useful. One trait for which the Bene Gesserit are known is their sense of grace and confidence in practically every situation. A sister cannot freeze with terror when the time comes to waltz, and she will be truly powerful if she can strip tease for a man without a hint of fear or embarrassment..
    What!!!
    Perhaps they need a bit of 'Voice'! That'll get 'em back in line.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I suppose what I am trying to assertian is... what makes this woman controversial in the Tribal/Fusion scene?

How do people in this dance genre define their boudaries?
    I'd be interested to know too.

If it had been done well would it have been OK? If your costume and music distances you from mainstream "rules" about where to point your crotch, is it OK?

I'm not in that genre, but it strikes me that the main controversy with this clip is how it got the best part of 9 minutes stage time at any event. However minimal the "belly dance" content is, if it was done well I don't think there would have been half as much fuss.

I can see that organisers cannot audition and vet all their performers, especially if it's Open Stage (was this?), but for the sake of the audience and as damage limitation on their event's reputation it makes sense to keep slots short. I don't think anyone gives two hoots about the odd 4 minutes of dodgy dancing, experimental art, or other random nonsense.

IMO she has fanned the flames by posting it herself as a new genre, then responding very badly to the inevitable flak. The way it is panning out makes me wonder if she got in way over her head, and if so what were the organisers thinking?

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube - oryantal dans gösterisi

then again not everything done is the name of Orientale is tasteful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post

What!!!
    Oh wow, they sound fantastic, I wanna BEEE one!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I feel positively unenlightened. I read the first Dune book about forty-eleven years ago and all I can remember is something about giant worms- is that possible?

can't be tribal fusion as there wasn't any tribal in it
    Excellent point.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 02-13-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: remove mildly snarky comment

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, giant worms and Sting in the film, and sand (that's all my Dune-related knowledge). I thought maybe the blue things were a worm reference.

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube - Long Black Veil Performing At Baghdad By The Bay Aug 09

Taking another fusion: belly dance/burlesque labelled.

I enjoyed this: the costuming the moves but can I please just call it burlesque. I honestly believe that by "fusing" with belly-dance moves(?) she restricted herself. Without trying to think of herself as a belly dancer, it would have been better as an un-fettered burlesque performance.

I really cannot take a performance to that music and with the whole "attitude" to have any relationship to belly dance so why bother.
    I thought she was a good performer and entertaining so to fuse or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cute performance- I like her sense of humor, but it looks like plain ol' burlesque to me.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast