Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When it is time?

To just admit to yourself that you are not as much of a dancer as you thought you were, and might want to look at hanging up your hip scarf?

Post Thanks / Like

There's few of us in the Western World who will climb the heights. But having just recieved what I believe to be sincere compliments from people who have just seen my efforts on film, it's made it all worthwhile. But it has taken a long time to be reasonable happy with what I've achieved in belly dance and fusion and being reconciled that at nearly 63 there is less likliehood I will ever achieve an awful lot more. But hey I have been getting a hell of ride for these past 12 years.
    So my message : look at how far you have come in your community. Your grasp of the dance, your knowledge , your experiences ( and they are never all good..just like everything else in life)
    And at least you are one of those who realise how hard you have to work to dance and give respect to this art form. Far better that than being deluded and passing off self-indulgent twaddle and making grandoise claims.
    Look at what you have invested in time,energy,love and money (if you like) Do you really want to throw it away?
    Or maybe you do need a break, recharge your batteries or just watch and get inspired again by great dancers.
    We all come to times in studying and practising when we feel there's a brick wall appeared then sure as eggs is eggs , a chink of light appears and lets us through. It may be an inspirational teacher, it may be a comment, a suggestion from friend. But the route becomes a little easier again. Honest it does.
    Guess what...hang up the old hip scarf and buy a new one

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is time if you no longer get pleasure from the dance and it is a chore to go to class etc, other than that keep on keeping on! I like what Liz says - hang up the old HS and buy a new one
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I'm not as good as I think every time I go to a festival/workshop. and every time I see footage of myself. But I am having fun and moving in the right direction and recognising the brick walls and knowing to wait for the chinks of light, or the corner to turn.

I'm not as good as I think, but I'm better than I was. Onwards and upwards... as long as I am enjoying the journey I will carry on.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone feels like this from time to time. Self doubt creeps in and we start second guessing ourselves. It means we are in a transition phase of our creativity- it's growth and it's healthy. Push past it by changing or doing something different. Move out of your comfort zone.

If you still find happiness in the dance don't stop.

P.S. I agree, you should buy that new hip scarf!

Post Thanks / Like

take a small break......perhaps you need something else ? tired from regular routine? BUT DONT FORGET YOU NEED SPORT AND EXERCISE !!!no way you find something better more fun more rewarding????? try another style???? props?? there is so much in this field perhaps get some new goody,s and props to put your brain in...yes new hipscarf good idea....new veil? you want me to send you 1?????any color you like??? give up NO NO NO !!!!!! brrrrrrrrrrrrrr|!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not nearly the dancer I was twenty-five years ago and never will be again. I'm older, arthritic, not as shapely, and I don't practice several hours a day. But hang up my hip scarf? My dear Robynne, I have hung it up at least three separate times: retirement just never seems to take with me. My main focus now is teaching, which I love, but once or twice a year, I toddle onto a stage and dance. As far as I can tell, everyone including me has a great time- at least no one has thrown rotten tomatos at me yet.

Look at it this way, honey: I don't breath as well as most people do, but that's no reason for me to give up breathing all together.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightdancer View Post
    To just admit to yourself that you are not as much of a dancer as you thought you were, and might want to look at hanging up your hip scarf?
    Is this a question that is coming from personal introspection? Or just a general observation?

Sometimes, we see others dance and realise they are better or more skilled then us. Sometimes, we overhear cruel remarks or catch the tail end of a sneery look. Sometimes, the energy goes, or the mind gets jaded. Sometimes we just have off days.

Just where is this question coming from?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I am not nearly the dancer I was twenty-five years ago and never will be again. I'm older, arthritic, not as shapely, and I don't practice several hours a day. But hang up my hip scarf? My dear Robynne, I have hung it up at least three separate times: retirement just never seems to take with me. My main focus now is teaching, which I love, but once or twice a year, I toddle onto a stage and dance. As far as I can tell, everyone including me has a great time- at least no one has thrown rotten tomatos at me yet.

Look at it this way, honey: I don't breath as well as most people do, but that's no reason for me to give up breathing all together.
    Hurrah for Shazzer!

Post Thanks / Like

They'll have to pry my hipscarf off of my cold, dead hips!

I may never be a fabulous dancer, I may never be a famous dancer (according to anyone other than my daughter), and I may only ever be a passable dancer at best. But, it is something I love, something that brings me far more joy and satisfaction than any fame or fortune could.

I do not dance to become famous. I do not dance to get rich or be popular. I do not dance to impress other people.

I dance because I love the way I feel when I dance. I dance because I love the music and I cannot sit still. I dance in costume because I want my outside to somewhat resemble the glorious spectacle within my soul when I am able to move about; and, I feel that if I can somehow bring out that joy then I may be able to share that joy with others. I dance because now that I have started, I cannot stop. I cannot see a life without it. And, if dance were to leave my life, life would leave me.

And if any cuss tries to insult my joy (critique my skills all you want, but my joy is off limits), then I'll just show 'em how good I am with my sword and my cane.

Joyously yours,

Anala

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast