Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post

I dance because I love the way I feel when I dance. I dance because I love the music and I cannot sit still. I dance in costume because I want my outside to somewhat resemble the glorious spectacle within my soul when I am able to move about; and, I feel that if I can somehow bring out that joy then I may be able to share that joy with others. I dance because now that I have started, I cannot stop. I cannot see a life without it. And, if dance were to leave my life, life would leave me.

And if any cuss tries to insult my joy (critique my skills all you want, but my joy is off limits), then I'll just show 'em how good I am with my sword and my cane.

Joyously yours,

Anala
    This snippet belongs on the To Crit or Not to Crit thread...cos it sums up perfectly one side of the argument (discussion?)

Post Thanks / Like

Hung up my hip scarf, then realized it would go better with that other costume, which should have matching heels, and what about a crown to go with the new earrings, and on it went. Hanging up a hip scarf can be expensive.

Hang it up when you are ready and not before. The tough part is deciding who you are if you aren't a dancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    They'll have to pry my hipscarf off of my cold, dead hips!

I may never be a fabulous dancer, I may never be a famous dancer (according to anyone other than my daughter), and I may only ever be a passable dancer at best. But, it is something I love, something that brings me far more joy and satisfaction than any fame or fortune could.

I do not dance to become famous. I do not dance to get rich or be popular. I do not dance to impress other people.

I dance because I love the way I feel when I dance. I dance because I love the music and I cannot sit still. I dance in costume because I want my outside to somewhat resemble the glorious spectacle within my soul when I am able to move about; and, I feel that if I can somehow bring out that joy then I may be able to share that joy with others. I dance because now that I have started, I cannot stop. I cannot see a life without it. And, if dance were to leave my life, life would leave me.

And if any cuss tries to insult my joy (critique my skills all you want, but my joy is off limits), then I'll just show 'em how good I am with my sword and my cane.

Joyously yours,

Anala
    Anala, ILUUUUU!!!

But I couldn't rep you. Have some chocolate cake with glitter icing!

Post Thanks / Like

LUUUU, too, Farasha!

And, Nightdancer, if you quit, I am rounding up a bunch of dancers (including Johara) for an INTERVENTION!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i quite often feel i should just give up as although i love ATS i'm not that good and it doesn't help having had fab dance partner's, but i still love it and know that if i got off my behind more and drilled i would improve, it is hard when you see others around you doing what you want to do, but they've inverable danced for longer, practiced more and not put on loads of weight so whats the answer don't give up just lower your standards

Post Thanks / Like

Default There is no time to

hung up your hip scarf!!! If you think there is some time for this, it is only to sleep (coins makes marks on hips if you sleep over).

But if you are disappointed from your dancing skills and you have realised that you are not "as much of a dancer as you thought you were", then it is time to work harder, because you know better than before what your missing points are.

So, go to your teacher and ask for more, or get a second teacher if the first does not want to give you more, practice more, go to workshops, study videos, and experiment with new music and moves. If you stop now, you will stay as you are: "not as much of a dancer as you thought you were". And you will be proving true a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So, you have two options only:
    a) If you want to prove yourself right, then hung your scarf up. And
    b) If you want to be a better dancer, then move your !@#$%%&!!!

With best wishes for your new dancing era!!
    W.

New York out in the 'burbs of Lungh Eylund
    Post Thanks / Like

Default when is it time

Well for me it will be ten minutes after i stop breathing (to paraphrase Aunt Rocky) and even then I'll be dead so someone else will have to do it Creaks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightdancer View Post
    To just admit to yourself that you are not as much of a dancer as you thought you were, and might want to look at hanging up your hip scarf?
    If it were me thinking about this I would evaluate why I'm dancing, where I'm dancing, what the motivations were and see, if based on what I discovered, if a different arena in dance would be more fulfilling than what I was currently doing that brought me to the question of retirement.

Post Thanks / Like

I did take time off. I royally messed up in one performance and felt really bad about it It took me a year to feel passable enough to dance again in public. I was so depressed being out of it and gained weight (about 20 lbs.)

I am not sure I will ever be as good as I wish I was, and I am not trying to be famous either. I just want to be respected in my community. That is my wish, but if I am not then what can I do about it?

Me not dancing= miserable me
    Me dancing = happyhappyhappy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone has a time when they fell a bit down-hearted, a bad performance, weight and age issues, feeling that you are losing your way stylistically. I get like that from time to time and just scale back activities until my oomph returns, which it invariably does.

No, I'm not going to set the world on fire. I do practice and try to improve, but it's for myself and as long as I enjoy it, then that's fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast