Hello....I'm new here

Mire Deniz

Hello, My name is Mire Deniz. I am Turkish and I have been bellydancing since I was just an 11 year old girl (my children thinks this is in the prehistoric days!) My mother and auntie taught both me and my cousin when we were young, and I put it on the back-burner for decades. I started dancing again a couple years ago. I love bellydance, but I feel like the true gift of bellydance was bestowed upon my mother, who was practically a legend in her country in her day. Her name is Kamile, and she was always referred to as "The Princess of Bellydance." All I have seen are photographs of her performing before I was born, and she looked AMAZING. Unfortunately, I ended up being the "poor imitation sequal" to the real thing. I can move, but because I now have the body of a woman who gave birth to 4 children, my confidence level is low in my appearance and abilities. I've been told by others, even my mother, and including a past instructor my mother hired for me (because of her aging body) that I am good but I have a hard time believing it. So right now my living room gets the honor of my dancing. I have been reading this forum for a while and all of you ladies seem very sincere, authentic and kind. I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
A very warm to the forum. What a wonderful family legacy you have. You know I am sure you are a lot better than you think with your dancing, you just seem to lack confidence at this point.

I am the mother of 4 and grandmother of 5, I also have had confidence issues, but have pushed through a lot of them -I still do have those moments every now & then and I'm sure many of us do have those moments.

Maybe you need to find a few friends and get together to dance and have fun, encouraging each other and you may find your confidence building.

Anyway I am glad you have decided to join the forum:D
~Mosaic

Sita

Hello and Welcome to the forum. You are very blessed to have such a wonderful bellydance legacy and to be so talented yourself :). I hope that this forum can also help build up your confidence in your dance and body. I hope you enjoy your time here. I look forward to reading your posts and wish you much happiness,
love
Sita

Last edited:

tribalgirl08

hi mire! i'm sure you're better than you think, i have ladies in my class who are mothers/grandmothers. the beauty of bellydancing is that you don't have to be a skinny-minny! there's no point in bellydancing if you don't have anything to wobble! :O) keep practicing in your lounge room until you build your confidence up a bit. i did the same thing & i performed my 1st solo 6 months ago. you never know, you might surprise yourself! :O)

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Hello, Mire, welcome to the forum! :D

It must be hard to live "in the shadow" of your mother. It sounds like you have a lot of expectations from yourself. However, I'm sure your mother loves you no matter what. I know I love my own daughter very much, and don't expect her to be my clone (although physically, we both have the same face---scaaaaaary! XD ). :D

Don't worry about trying to live up to your mother's reputation, or to try to be just like her. Find your own dance "voice," and be yourself. Like some havre already pointed out, you're probably better than you give yourself credit for. Enjoy the dance, and express your own heart. *hugs!*

herbchick

i just had my third son last year in march. i was looking pretty good...now the belly doesn't quite want to bounce back very well :( so i feel ya!!! but my living room is small...and filled with toy trucks (lol) so i have to dance in public :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
i just had my third son last year in march. i was looking pretty good...now the belly doesn't quite want to bounce back very well :( so i feel ya!!! but my living room is small...and filled with toy trucks (lol) so i have to dance in public :)
That is a very good reason to dance in public:lol: Less chance of a twisted ankle or something:D

Oh & to the forum
~Mosaic