Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the name of this move?

Last week in (intermediate level) class, the teacher showed us a new move, that I found difficult to grasp. I need to practice it, but I do not know the name of it (so that I can look it up on youtube, or elsewhere).

The name of the move sounded like ka-da-la (or ca-da-la)

From what I can remember about the move, the first thing that you do is move one hip down...and then there is more hip movement between switching to the other side, bringing that hip down, and you walk forward while doing this move (sorry, the teacher went through this one quickly, and did not have time to go over it again).

I tried to search for kadala, cadala, kahdala, on the net, could not find anything!

Does anyone know, or have an idea, of what this move could be, and/or is called?

Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing from your description, and the word you sort-of-remember that this could be...hagallah? Sometimes also called 'Egyptian walk' in the UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of sounds like a shimmy layered over an arabic walk that your teacher may have been teaching broken down? But the name doesn't sound familiar to me. Can you phone your teacher and ash her the name of the movement?
    ~Mosaic

Ahhhh I think deelybopper has got it! Thinking about that it absolutely could be hagallah, but not sure about the "more hip movement" part you mentioned.
    Last edited by Mosaic; 02-17-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deelybopper View Post
    I am guessing from your description, and the word you sort-of-remember that this could be...hagallah? Sometimes also called 'Egyptian walk' in the UK.
    I'd guess 'hagallah'/'egyptian walk'/'three quarter shimmy' as well.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Hagalla definatley! Sticke with it is great to learn!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I've just seen a vid on the Hagalla move, and yes it was the Hagalla move! Now I can practice it tomorrow

YouTube - Egyptian Folkloric Belly Dance : Hagalla Belly Dance Drill

Post Thanks / Like

Hagalla in a live performance
    YouTube - Arabesque Bellydance : Hagala
    Last edited by Amethyst; 02-18-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is Mahmoud Reda's hagallah

~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the vid Mosaic, the dancers look like they are so happy and free dancing, I love to see that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    Thanks everyone, I've just seen a vid on the Hagalla move, and yes it was the Hagalla move! Now I can practice it tomorrow

YouTube - Egyptian Folkloric Belly Dance : Hagalla Belly Dance Drill
    Oh please don't practice it in that arm position - I've never ever seen anything like that from an Egyptian in my life! The hagallah is diferent from the Egyptian walk, the hagallah is a folkloric move, with a bigger twist to the hip. the Egyptian walk is a more refined, Oriental move. I took a hagallah workshop with Lubna Emam last year, she was MOST emphatic that the hagallah is not the same as the Egyptian walk...MOST emphatic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast