Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    Thanks everyone, I've just seen a vid on the Hagalla move, and yes it was the Hagalla move! Now I can practice it tomorrow

YouTube - Egyptian Folkloric Belly Dance : Hagalla Belly Dance Drill
    Er.. to me that was an Egyptian walk with half the hipwork missing... Let alone any folky twisting...

I'd be very careful supplementing class learning of a particular move with YouTubes. They are sometimes doing something completely different and it is hard to tell when terminology is so unstandardised and it's a move you are unfamiliar with.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Here is Mahmoud Reda's hagallah

~Mosaic
    I love this clip. It has just the right combination of skill and energy, relaxation and economy of movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Er.. to me that was an Egyptian walk with half the hipwork missing... Let alone any folky twisting...

I'd be very careful supplementing class learning of a particular move with YouTubes. They are sometimes doing something completely different and it is hard to tell when terminology is so unstandardised and it's a move you are unfamiliar with.
    I agree. Why don't you ask you teacher if the movement in the clip is the same as she have taught you to do?

(And remember, almost similar movements can have different names, and different movements can have similar names...)
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the experienced info/tips!

I searched for 3/4 shimmy (we have learnt this already in class) and found 3/4 down shimmy (with a twist) I'm sure that this is the move (is this move also called hagala of is that a different move?).

YouTube - Belly Dancing Shimmies : Belly Dancing Shimmies: 3-Quarter Down With Twist Drill

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    The class that I am in is an intensive class, with learning a choreography half way though, so we learn the moves quickly. I am thinking of joining another class, that is not as intense, where there is more time spent on learning each move. My beginners classes (and one improvers class) were like this. It's been fine so far, apart from 2 moves that I would have found it better if we had spent some more time learning the techniques (maya/eight downs, moving down towards the floor, and this one that I asked the name of).

I understand when you say about being careful about learning techniques from you tube vids, I do try and be careful with what videos I practice some of the moves to (though I am not an expert, so some of them may not be very good!). I practice the moves (not the choreography) in the Instructional Bellydance With Jillina - Level 2, dvd, though some of the moves are improvers level, and most of the moves we have learned in the intermediate class, are not in that video! So, I look to youtube for the other moves! I'm going to post another thread on practicing intermediate level moves.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 02-21-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12