What is the name of this move?

Amethyst

Last week in (intermediate level) class, the teacher showed us a new move, that I found difficult to grasp. I need to practice it, but I do not know the name of it (so that I can look it up on youtube, or elsewhere).

The name of the move sounded like ka-da-la (or ca-da-la)

From what I can remember about the move, the first thing that you do is move one hip down...and then there is more hip movement between switching to the other side, bringing that hip down, and you walk forward while doing this move (sorry, the teacher went through this one quickly, and did not have time to go over it again).

I tried to search for kadala, cadala, kahdala, on the net, could not find anything!

Does anyone know, or have an idea, of what this move could be, and/or is called?

deelybopper

I am guessing from your description, and the word you sort-of-remember that this could be...hagallah? Sometimes also called 'Egyptian walk' in the UK.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Kind of sounds like a shimmy layered over an arabic walk that your teacher may have been teaching broken down? But the name doesn't sound familiar to me. Can you phone your teacher and ash her the name of the movement?
~Mosaic

Ahhhh I think deelybopper has got it! Thinking about that it absolutely could be hagallah, but not sure about the "more hip movement" part you mentioned.

Last edited:

Amethyst

Thanks for sharing the vid Mosaic, the dancers look like they are so happy and free dancing, I love to see that!

Sarahamh

Thanks everyone, I've just seen a vid on the Hagalla move, and yes it was the Hagalla move! Now I can practice it tomorrow :)

YouTube - Egyptian Folkloric Belly Dance : Hagalla Belly Dance Drill

Oh please don't practice it in that arm position - I've never ever seen anything like that from an Egyptian in my life! The hagallah is diferent from the Egyptian walk, the hagallah is a folkloric move, with a bigger twist to the hip. the Egyptian walk is a more refined, Oriental move. I took a hagallah workshop with Lubna Emam last year, she was MOST emphatic that the hagallah is not the same as the Egyptian walk...MOST emphatic :lol:

Aniseteph

Thanks everyone, I've just seen a vid on the Hagalla move, and yes it was the Hagalla move! Now I can practice it tomorrow :)

YouTube - Egyptian Folkloric Belly Dance : Hagalla Belly Dance Drill

Er.. to me that was an Egyptian walk with half the hipwork missing... :confused: Let alone any folky twisting...

I'd be very careful supplementing class learning of a particular move with YouTubes. They are sometimes doing something completely different and it is hard to tell when terminology is so unstandardised and it's a move you are unfamiliar with.

Daimona

Er.. to me that was an Egyptian walk with half the hipwork missing... :confused: Let alone any folky twisting...

I'd be very careful supplementing class learning of a particular move with YouTubes. They are sometimes doing something completely different and it is hard to tell when terminology is so unstandardised and it's a move you are unfamiliar with.

I agree. Why don't you ask you teacher if the movement in the clip is the same as she have taught you to do?

(And remember, almost similar movements can have different names, and different movements can have similar names...)

Amethyst

Thanks for the experienced info/tips!

I searched for 3/4 shimmy (we have learnt this already in class) and found 3/4 down shimmy (with a twist) I'm sure that this is the move (is this move also called hagala of is that a different move?).

YouTube - Belly Dancing Shimmies : Belly Dancing Shimmies: 3-Quarter Down With Twist Drill

The class that I am in is an intensive class, with learning a choreography half way though, so we learn the moves quickly. I am thinking of joining another class, that is not as intense, where there is more time spent on learning each move. My beginners classes (and one improvers class) were like this. It's been fine so far, apart from 2 moves that I would have found it better if we had spent some more time learning the techniques (maya/eight downs, moving down towards the floor, and this one that I asked the name of).

I understand when you say about being careful about learning techniques from you tube vids, I do try and be careful with what videos I practice some of the moves to (though I am not an expert, so some of them may not be very good!). I practice the moves (not the choreography) in the Instructional Bellydance With Jillina - Level 2, dvd, though some of the moves are improvers level, and most of the moves we have learned in the intermediate class, are not in that video! So, I look to youtube for the other moves! I'm going to post another thread on practicing intermediate level moves.

Last edited by a moderator: