Advice..

Niky_7

Hello all,
i'm searching for an advice by you.
I have 21 now and i do bellydancing since 2006...I'd like to became a professional bellydancer and I don't know how I can do it. What is the best state for studying? Is great France? anybody knows the best teacher and the best prices?
I think the best can be USA but it's so much expensive for me :( (I dont work now and i have to find my way...my only thought is bellydance,but parents disagree with me cos in italy u can't live with this one. but i know that abroad is better than here...right?!)
I'm so sad I want to study and I don't know how I can do this :(

ps. sorry for my untrue english!

Daimona

Going abroad to become a pro isn't necessarily easier or cheaper than studying in your home country. If you are really serious about it, go to the sources (Egypt, Lebanon or Turkey) to study. But wherever you go, attending classes and private tuition will be pricey and you'll need to save up a lot before going anywhere (even in your home country).

And when it comes to working as a professional belly dancer, have you read the articles on Shira's website concerning
going pro and bellydance as business?

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Sorry I can't help you, Here in Australia, you would find it very hard to make a full on living from bellydance, I believe most professional dancers have other means of income besides BD.

Only American dancers would be able to give an answer about the US. But I would think the situation would be quite similar and obtaining a work visa would also be the hard part. You would need money to apply for visas and would very likely need a sponser if you could find one and a job to go too whether it was USA, Aussie or the UK I would think.

Most countries will grant a temp work visa for prof bellydancers who have a sponsor and they are coming to teach workshops or dance in some gala event. But it would e a short term thing, eg: 6 weeks or maybe 3 months, if you are lucky.

For certain a bellydancer would never get a work/permanent resident visa as a prof BD'er. If you had some other required skill IE: doctor, nurse, engineer etc and applied through the normal channels which is quite a long and cumbersome process, then yes you could come to Aussie, but would have to work in the profession you applied for the visa for, then you can do whatever you like in your free time.
~Mosaic

lizaj

There are teachers in Cairo who will train you. You would need to get a visa and would not, as far as I know be allowed to work. You would need to have the money to survive for 6 months and contacts for accomodationThere are also Western teachers like Yasmina and Sara who will advise you on training.
There are a couple of very good docu-DVDs about dancers and their lives.

yas cd dvd video
scroll down to Journey of Desire.

Amazon.co.uk: bellydancers of cairo

this is another useful resource of a dancer's life out there :BellyLorna

There are so many girls there trying to get work- that's something different and very difficult.

At present it would pay you to attend good European festivals with notable teachers.

Last edited:

bilberry

When I lived in Paris, I had a teacher who is really excellent. Her name is Leila Haddad & she teaches at the Centre Danse du Marais. I know its not Italy, but she's pretty well trained and dances all over the world. It could help just to contact her and see if she has any advice!