what are these beledi moves please advise ladies and gents

RanyaRenee

I know, Emma, that it's frustrating to not be able to give a name to a move... In Egypt a lot of the moves only have names because American or other Western dancers gave them names and then the Egyptian teachers started using those names as a point of reference. But if every move were standardized, there might not be quite as much room for personal expression. Every dancer has to put her own stamp on the different moves... I think the muscle and alignment awareness, and breathing with the movement (which also helps awareness), is most important---once you set up the "system", you can let the movements generate from the inside, and you might be surprised how much you can get just by being receptive when you are watching a move.

That said, maybe if you show some moves to your teacher on the video, she may be able to analyze them and see what is going on, or maybe something similar at least! :D

Actually, Aziyade, somewhere (maybe on another forum??) you described my technique approach way better than i could... something about not separating out the movements or not focusing on the distinct movements in themselves but more the path of the music drawn by the body. Well, i'm elaborating there, but you explained it perfectly!

Hey folks, if you wanna talk Baladi, I have just posted a getting-in-touch-with-taqasim homework assignment on Facebook.com (on the Ranya Renee Baladi Video Study Group page). Anyone is welcome to join the group, and to join the conversation about beledi dance and the movements and approach, and working along with the dvd. :dance:

Happy dancin'!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Actually, Aziyade, somewhere (maybe on another forum??) you described my technique approach way better than i could... something about not separating out the movements or not focusing on the distinct movements in themselves but more the path of the music drawn by the body. Well, i'm elaborating there, but you explained it perfectly!

SQUEE! :D:D:D You know I just love ya!!

Where's the smiley for teacher's pet? LOL.

adiemus

**Hey folks, if you wanna talk Baladi, I have just posted a getting-in-touch-with-taqasim homework assignment on Facebook.com (on the Ranya Renee Baladi Video Study Group page). Anyone is welcome to join the group, and to join the conversation about beledi dance and the movements and approach, and working along with the dvd**
Oooooh! Rushing out to join the group now! Thanks so much for this!