Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that always bothers me when I see sword dancing is that some dancers do not respect the fact that it is a weapon. When dancing, make it look hard even if it is easy for you. And never touch the blade side, keep up the illusuion that this is still sharp and deadly. ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kira_Majeric View Post
    One thing that always bothers me when I see sword dancing is that some dancers do not respect the fact that it is a weapon. When dancing, make it look hard even if it is easy for you. And never touch the blade side, keep up the illusuion that this is still sharp and deadly. ^_^
    This is so true. What's the point of having a sword that you handle as if it's perfectly safe? It's the thrill of danger that grabs the audience.

This article has some tips on buying a sword:

How to Choose a Belly Dance Balancing Sword

It's a good point about the closed-in handle - my sword has one and it does make some moves a bit more tricky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post
    This is so true. What's the point of having a sword that you handle as if it's perfectly safe? It's the thrill of danger that grabs the audience.

It's a good point about the closed-in handle - my sword has one and it does make some moves a bit more tricky.

Now my boyfriend hates this site..... Your link had another link to a forged katana shop.....my favorite sword.....I'm in trouble now...... ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some performances like this too! I notice I'm bored with the piece immediately! Lol..This makes total sense!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydance Oz View Post

From the web site in the above quote:

You'll find it much easier to balance your sword if you haven't washed your hair. Clean hair is far too slippery. If you're one of those people who washes their hair everyday, putting gel or mousse in your hair may help - but hair that hasn't been washed for a couple of days is much better.

Ohhh, ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube - Yoonjakyung's two-swords dance, korean martial art

this is one of my favorite sword dances. and it you watch the end, they are real swords.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll find it much easier to balance your sword if you haven't washed your hair. Clean hair is far too slippery. If you're one of those people who washes their hair everyday, putting gel or mousse in your hair may help - but hair that hasn't been washed for a couple of days is much better.

Ohhh, ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

Or keep your hair shiny and clean, and rub a bit of candle wax on to the balance point. Beeswax is a bit more tacky (as in grippy) than parraffin.

Wearing a headband of non-slippery fabric such as velvet can help too.

What I'm kinda worried about is, will the weight of my sword eventually wear a bald spot on top of my head? I haven't gone bald yet, but get a groove in the top of my head. The sword finds its own spot on my head the next day!

Post Thanks / Like

this is one of my favorite sword dances. and it you watch the end, they are real swords.
    Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

That is SO beautiful!!!! I love it!

I also love the way the costume enhances and responds to the dance/dancer. And it's all done so seemingly effortlessly! LOVE it! Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    That is SO beautiful!!!! I love it!

I also love the way the costume enhances and responds to the dance/dancer. And it's all done so seemingly effortlessly! LOVE it! Thank you!!
    I love her dress as well. I'm going to ask my Asian friend to get me one at the Cherry Blossom festival. ^_^

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast