Okay Tell Me All About Swords!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I use to practice in the garden, more room and less fragile things around, just the grass (and my toes) :dance: Luckely my neighbours are already used to it by now!:clap:

Yes -- practicing outside is MUCH less dangerous to your sword -- keep in mind that you CAN bend or break the tip if it hits just right, and even though you can usually bend it back, it never feels the same way again.

indrayu

I've been walking around the apartment with my sword balanced on my head to try and get used to it, but waling around this apartment is like navigating a gauntlet...only it's the person "running the gauntlet" that can do the damage! :confused: In the living room/dining room area, we have a double-tiered glasstop coffee table, and a leather couch and love seat that belong to my daughter, to say nothing of the rest of the furniture!
Plus, this crazy apartment has so many turns and corners; it's an absolute nightmare! I think I'm now more scared of slicing open my daughter's furniture than I am of slicing myself open. :confused:

Maybe a road of obstacles with a dangerous weapon is a good thing? :think:

ONE thing is for certain: I have a healthy respect for my sword.

:lol::lol:

I'm sure it can be a good thing - sort of, if there's no disasters. My place is small too, so when practising the floor part I'd have to shuffle over halfway through so that the sword didn't catch on the couch or poke the TV. Meanwhile, my two cats think that person on floor = cuddle time :shok: The sword stayed on my head, but so did the terrified expression :confused:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I know its an old thread but how heavy should these swords be? The one i'm looking at buying localy felt pretty heavy on my head when i put it there.

Farasha Hanem

I know its an old thread but how heavy should these swords be? The one i'm looking at buying localy felt pretty heavy on my head when i put it there.

The Cas Hanwei that Aziyade, ErikaOh, and I own is about 3.5 pounds, so it's a heavy sword, but it balances wonderfully. Here is more info on the Cas Hanwei/Cas Iberia:

Note: Some teachers/troupes might not allow you to perform with this sword in enclosed areas or troupe performances, because it is a battle-ready sword that is made for bellydance, so if you buy this beautiful sword, please take care. For troupe and indoor performances, you'll want to invest in a good cabaret sword. Make sure that the sword you buy is well-balanced, and that it doesn't lean at an angle forward or backward:

Personally, this is going to be my next sword purchase:

For excellent tips on sword dancing, check out Shira's site:

Tips and Tricks for Dancing with a Sword

One last video tutorial:

Of course, there are differing opinions on sword dancing... :confused: *is paying no attention to what above instructor says about dancing with "battle-ready swords"* xD

Greek Bonfire

Whoever picks up a sword and dances with it has my utmost admiration because I personally never will. I admit that I am much too chicken and afraid that I will seriously mame myself so anybody who has this courage, well I'll cheer you on no matter what you do! And after seeing Carolina in Michelle Joyce's bellydance reality show catch a sword on her belly and cut herself, I will reiterate that I will always be an enthusiastic spectator.

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

Whoever picks up a sword and dances with it has my utmost admiration because I personally never will. I admit that I am much too chicken and afraid that I will seriously mame myself so anybody who has this courage, well I'll cheer you on no matter what you do! And after seeing Carolina in Michelle Joyce's bellydance reality show catch a sword on her belly and cut herself, I will reiterate that I will always be an enthusiastic spectator.

Oh, my lordy! :shok:

Yes, anyone who dances with a sword needs to have a serious and healthy respect for it. Even if the blade has been dulled for dancing, it's still a weapon, and can cause injury if mishandled. The safety of a dancer's audience, fellow dancers, and herself/himself should stay utmost in mind before, during, and after practice/performance. Of course, there's no rule that says every dancer must sword dance; it's a matter of choice. ;)

Last edited:

SidraK

I have a big brass cabaret sword that couldn't cut butter (although I once stabbed myself in the butt with it by accident!). It was my first, and remains my favorite prop...I'm hoping to get another one so I can start playing with double-sword balances. There is an instructor in town who does double sword and it looks amazing!

Greek Bonfire

Oh, my lordy! :shok:

Yes, anyone who dances with a sword needs to have a serious and healthy respect for it. Even if the blade has been dulled for dancing, it's still a weapon, and can cause injury if mishandled. The safety of a dancer's audience, fellow dancers, and herself/himself should stay utmost in mind before, during, and after practice/performance. Of course, there's no rule that says every dancer must sword dance; it's a matter of choice. ;)

One of these days maybe I'll quit squawkinig and do it. :rolleyes:

Ariadne

I've decided I want this one based purely on the reviews by Atlantabellydance:
Review: Sultan Scimitar Belly Dance Sword

I like the idea of the end being dull after all the comments about how sharp the end of the Cas Hanwei is, the Sultan Scimitar is also supposed to balance closer to the center of the sword. Does anyone have one who has experience with it and doesn't mind sharing before I consider putting actual money down?