Okay Tell Me All About Swords!

You'll find it much easier to balance your sword if you haven't washed your hair. Clean hair is far too slippery. If you're one of those people who washes their hair everyday, putting gel or mousse in your hair may help - but hair that hasn't been washed for a couple of days is much better.[/I]

:shok: Ohhh, ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! :confused:

I've been given that exact same advice by three separate belly dance teachers.

I hesitate to admit it, but when I was a little girl (which was half a century ago), most women only went to the hairdresser once a WEEK to have their hair washed and set.

I couldn't last a whole week between washes myself, but there's absolutely no need to wash your hair every day.

Farasha Hanem

YouTube - Yoonjakyung's two-swords dance, korean martial art

this is one of my favorite sword dances. and it you watch the end, they are real swords.

:shok: OhmyGOSH that was so beautiful and powerful! I loved it! The music, the costuming, the way she handled her swords, the choreography...wow!!! Thank you so much for sharing, Kira! :)

I've been given that exact same advice by three separate belly dance teachers.

I hesitate to admit it, but when I was a little girl (which was half a century ago), most women only went to the hairdresser once a WEEK to have their hair washed and set.

I couldn't last a whole week between washes myself, but there's absolutely no need to wash your hair every day.

I brought my new sword to class tonight to show to my teachers, and one of them gave me the same advice on candlewax. She also suggested sandpapering a small part of the blade at the balance point, but I'm so afraid I'll ruin it! :(

Last edited:

indrayu

:shok: OhmyGOSH that was so beautiful and powerful! I loved it! The music, the costuming, the way she handled her swords, the choreography...wow!!! Thank you so much for sharing, Kira! :)

:clap: What a fabulous dance :clap: just about everything a good sword dance should be! So glad I hadn't seen it when I was looking for inspiration for my first sword dance; I would have just given up before I started. Watched a few wobbly tinfoil-looking props, some twirling daggers and a lot of "Look I can do tricks", but emotionally compelling, graceful woman-warriors, very few.

Any more great videos to share? (though I might just get despondent about my own feeble efforts :rolleyes:)

I brought my new sword to class tonight to show to my teachers, and one of them gave me the same advice on candlewax. She also suggested sandpapering a small part of the blade at the balance point, but I'm so afraid I'll ruin it! :(

Farasha, sandpapering might work, but I'm imagining the contrast betwen the shiny clean reflective sword surface and the little dull spot might just look like youv'e been using the dirty-hair method :think: At least wax can be cleaned off :D

Last edited:

Kira_Majeric

Farasha, sandpapering might work, but I'm imagining the contrast betwen the shiny clean reflective sword surface and the little dull spot might just look like youv'e been using the dirty-hair method :think: At least wax can be cleaned off :D

Sand paper will not do the trick on the hard metal. I recommend a file. and only scuff the part that will touch your head. Easier to hide. Also i have been told that head wraps help as well as hats.

I just go for the really heavy ones. ^_^ they weigh enough to make a groove in your skull.

Farasha Hanem

Groove in the skull?!?

I just go for the really heavy ones. ^_^ they weigh enough to make a groove in your skull.

I don't want to ruin my blade with sandpaper, but I might try the filing trick, right on the edge where it balances. Thank you for the tip! :D

I think she's confusing this with the advice to GLUE a small piece of sandpaper at the balance point. My own teacher does that.

teela

If you cannot go long without washing your hair and need to dance with a sword, you can wear a hairband to help keep your sword from slipping. Hairsprray also can provide a sticky surface to help keep the sword more in place. Even with everything in place, be prepared to catch it as it slips off....LOL.

Farasha Hanem

I think she's confusing this with the advice to GLUE a small piece of sandpaper at the balance point. My own teacher does that.

No, she told me to balance my sword on my finger, then gently rough up the same spot with sandpaper so the edge will have a little traction, so to speak (although traction wasn't how she described it). She also said that candle wax would serve the same purpose.

I seem to have a problem with my sword slipping in a way that causes the handle to klonk me in the side of the head. :confused: I guess, though, that's better than having my sword slip and sticking me in the foot! :shok:

My teacher suggested I walk around the house with the sword balanced on my head, and until I get the hang of it, be prepared to catch it when it starts to slip. At this point, I don't dare try the sword routine---it involves floor work! :confused:

Daimona

I think I'd try both wax and hair band before doing anything with the sword (i.e. no rubbing with sandpaper or filing it at the balancing point).

Megarah

I often us a bit of wax from a candle (just dont over do it or you end up with wax all over your hair and thats not very pretty on stage) :rolleyes:

this was my very first performance with a sword, don't be to hard on me..:)

Last edited:

Kira_Majeric

I often us a bit of wax from a candle (just dont over do it or you end up with wax all over your hair and thats not very pretty on stage) :rolleyes:

this was my very first performance with a sword, don't be to hard on me..:)

Just one thing. ^_^ Act like the blade will slice you if you hold it wrong. I catch myself gripping the blade when I am practicing, but you want to make people think that its a real weapon.

Other that that, great job. ^_^

Megarah

Just one thing. ^_^ Act like the blade will slice you if you hold it wrong. I catch myself gripping the blade when I am practicing, but you want to make people think that its a real weapon.

Other that that, great job. ^_^

thanks for the tip ! :)

BellyDanceX2

I just picked up my first practice sword!

Dancing 15 years and I'm finally getting around to adding sword to my skills. LOL This thread is an interesting read.

~Balianne

Farasha Hanem

I don't have to act -- mine WILL slice you if you hold it wrong. I have the scratches to prove it - lol.

Mine konks me in the brain. I think it's mocking my lack of sword skills. :confused:

Kinda reminds me of the early episodes of Bleach, when Ichigo first got his zanpakto. :confused:

Geez, my veil hates me, now my sword hates me! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

I've been walking around the apartment with my sword balanced on my head to try and get used to it, but waling around this apartment is like navigating a gauntlet...only it's the person "running the gauntlet" that can do the damage! :confused: In the living room/dining room area, we have a double-tiered glasstop coffee table, and a leather couch and love seat that belong to my daughter, to say nothing of the rest of the furniture!
Plus, this crazy apartment has so many turns and corners; it's an absolute nightmare! I think I'm now more scared of slicing open my daughter's furniture than I am of slicing myself open. :confused:

Maybe a road of obstacles with a dangerous weapon is a good thing? :think:

ONE thing is for certain: I have a healthy respect for my sword.

Last edited:

Megarah

I've been walking around the apartment with my sword balanced on my head to try and get used to it, but waling around this apartment is like navigating a gauntlet...only it's the person "running the gauntlet" that can do the damage! :confused: In the living room/dining room area, we have a double-tiered glasstop coffee table, and a leather couch and love seat that belong to my daughter, to say nothing of the rest of the furniture!
Plus, this crazy apartment has so many turns and corners; it's an absolute nightmare! I think I'm now more scared of slicing open my daughter's furniture than I am of slicing myself open. :confused:

Maybe a road of obstacles with a dangerous weapon is a good thing? :think:

ONE thing is for certain: I have a healthy respect for my sword.

I use to practice in the garden, more room and less fragile things around, just the grass (and my toes) :dance: Luckely my neighbours are already used to it by now!:clap: