Okay Tell Me All About Swords!

lilith71

I'm fascinated with watching sword dances! I've looked up and googled info about them, but the information seems to be lacking. What sword should a person choose? Is there a better brand to buy? What music selection would you reach for? Would you use a different sword for cabaret or tribal style dance? Does it make a difference? Who has the best dvd's on this? How does one "blunt" their sword if it's sharp? Am I annoying you yet? Lol, thanks...:lol:

Kashmir

Most important thing is that it will balance on the edge - swords do not normally do that. I have bought two (both suppliers long since gone). Both were sold for dancing and balancing but the first one would not and a quick look at the physics suggested it would never.

teela

I agree, if you buy a sword to dance with buy one that is specifically designed for dancing because it will have a good balance and a well balanced sword is much easier to use. I have a Saroyan sword that I enjoy because it is balanced and has a notched area that makes it easier for me to place on my head because the notch is an indicator of the center of balance. there are other swords out there that are just as good.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

One of my students showed me her Saroyan sword. I am envious and now I want one. :)

There are two styles, for the most part --
the Cabaret sword and the Tribal sword.

I just bought the Hanwei from swordwares.com. Its considered a Tribal sword. Why? Because the tribal girls love it. Lol. It's big and mean and very heavy and sharp. I need to blunt it before I hurt somebody.

The Saroyan and others like it are lighter, smaller swords that so-called "cabaret" dancers have used. They're not quite as mean looking and usually aren't sharp.

BEWARE of swords that don't specifically say they are BALANCED for bellydance. Dahlal sells a piece of crap sword here:

https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=7&s1=1125&s2=0

They call it the Starter Sword, and it WILL NOT balance. Don't waste your money.

You don't HAVE to balance the sword when you dance with it, but it's always nice to have that option.

One recommendation -- buy a shotgun case with the anti-rust protection in it if you buy a plated sword or a carbon steel blade like the Hanwei. Once they start to pit, it's all downhill from there.

I like Princess Farhana's Raqs al Sayf video for more interesting sword techniques, but basically you can learn most of it by watching performance videos.

lilith71

Most important thing is that it will balance on the edge - swords do not normally do that. I have bought two (both suppliers long since gone). Both were sold for dancing and balancing but the first one would not and a quick look at the physics suggested it would never.

Gotcha! Check for balance! I will do this when looking. Thanks!

lilith71

One of my students showed me her Saroyan sword. I am envious and now I want one. :)

There are two styles, for the most part --
the Cabaret sword and the Tribal sword.

I just bought the Hanwei from swordwares.com. Its considered a Tribal sword. Why? Because the tribal girls love it. Lol. It's big and mean and very heavy and sharp. I need to blunt it before I hurt somebody.

The Saroyan and others like it are lighter, smaller swords that so-called "cabaret" dancers have used. They're not quite as mean looking and usually aren't sharp.

BEWARE of swords that don't specifically say they are BALANCED for bellydance. Dahlal sells a piece of crap sword here:

https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=7&s1=1125&s2=0

They call it the Starter Sword, and it WILL NOT balance. Don't waste your money.

You don't HAVE to balance the sword when you dance with it, but it's always nice to have that option.

One recommendation -- buy a shotgun case with the anti-rust protection in it if you buy a plated sword or a carbon steel blade like the Hanwei. Once they start to pit, it's all downhill from there.

I like Princess Farhana's Raqs al Sayf video for more interesting sword techniques, but basically you can learn most of it by watching performance videos.

This is so helpful! I'm writing it down. I've seen so many dancing swords out there, but new there had to be some that were good to choose and some that are crap! Thank you Thank You!

indrayu

And don't start off with one with the sort of handle that has a piece going over the back of your hand, cavalry-style. It's much more difficult to grasp and release from any angle.

Farasha Hanem

oO Shotgun case? Rust-proof interior? *goes off to raid Hubby's side of the closet*

I just got my Cas Hanwei yesterday! :D It's so beautiful! If Hubby doesn't have the right kind of shotgun case, I'll buy one at work (and get a discount! XD ). I can't wait to take pics tomorrow and maybe make a video to post in the sword thread in the Market Place. :)

What I'm kinda worried about is, will the weight of my sword eventually wear a bald spot on top of my head? :think: :confused:

lilith71

oO Shotgun case? Rust-proof interior? *goes off to raid Hubby's side of the closet*

I just got my Cas Hanwei yesterday! :D It's so beautiful! If Hubby doesn't have the right kind of shotgun case, I'll buy one at work (and get a discount! XD ). I can't wait to take pics tomorrow and maybe make a video to post in the sword thread in the Market Place. :)

What I'm kinda worried about is, will the weight of my sword eventually wear a bald spot on top of my head? :think: :confused:

Lol, there's always hats!:lol:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Don't you know? That bald spot is the proud mark of a balancer! Wear it with PRIDE darling!

LOL.

I said shotgun, and I meant rifle. They sell Rifle cases. I don't know abuot shotgun cases! :) It was late. sorry. :)

Kira_Majeric

One thing that always bothers me when I see sword dancing is that some dancers do not respect the fact that it is a weapon. When dancing, make it look hard even if it is easy for you. And never touch the blade side, keep up the illusuion that this is still sharp and deadly. ^_^

One thing that always bothers me when I see sword dancing is that some dancers do not respect the fact that it is a weapon. When dancing, make it look hard even if it is easy for you. And never touch the blade side, keep up the illusuion that this is still sharp and deadly. ^_^

This is so true. What's the point of having a sword that you handle as if it's perfectly safe? It's the thrill of danger that grabs the audience.

This article has some tips on buying a sword:

How to Choose a Belly Dance Balancing Sword

It's a good point about the closed-in handle - my sword has one and it does make some moves a bit more tricky.

Kira_Majeric

This is so true. What's the point of having a sword that you handle as if it's perfectly safe? It's the thrill of danger that grabs the audience.

It's a good point about the closed-in handle - my sword has one and it does make some moves a bit more tricky.

Now my boyfriend hates this site..... Your link had another link to a forged katana shop.....my favorite sword.....I'm in trouble now...... ^_^

lilith71

I've seen some performances like this too! I notice I'm bored with the piece immediately! Lol..This makes total sense!

Farasha Hanem

From the web site in the above quote:

You'll find it much easier to balance your sword if you haven't washed your hair. Clean hair is far too slippery. If you're one of those people who washes their hair everyday, putting gel or mousse in your hair may help - but hair that hasn't been washed for a couple of days is much better.

:shok: Ohhh, ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! :confused:

indrayu

You'll find it much easier to balance your sword if you haven't washed your hair. Clean hair is far too slippery. If you're one of those people who washes their hair everyday, putting gel or mousse in your hair may help - but hair that hasn't been washed for a couple of days is much better.

Ohhh, ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

Or keep your hair shiny and clean, and rub a bit of candle wax on to the balance point. Beeswax is a bit more tacky (as in grippy) than parraffin.

Wearing a headband of non-slippery fabric such as velvet can help too.

What I'm kinda worried about is, will the weight of my sword eventually wear a bald spot on top of my head? I haven't gone bald yet, but get a groove in the top of my head. The sword finds its own spot on my head the next day!

Kira_Majeric

That is SO beautiful!!!! I love it!

I also love the way the costume enhances and responds to the dance/dancer. And it's all done so seemingly effortlessly! LOVE it! Thank you!!

I love her dress as well. I'm going to ask my Asian friend to get me one at the Cherry Blossom festival. ^_^