Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Im NEW.... i need help with hip circles

Hey
    im new to belly dancing, and the only source instruction i have if from you tube hopefully i will soon be taking lessons and ordering some of delilahs vids anyways, i need help w/ hip circles....i was wondering if you move your knees like your jogging in place(still keeping for feet flat on the ground) or if you jus bend your knees together and your legs move in unison??

Tiffany

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on which style of hip circles you are trying to achieve. Since I cant' see you it's hard to give you specific feedback. The "traditional" style hip circle is commonly found in all style of Oriental dance. It can be characterized by having the hips make an external circle around the body on a horizontal plane.
    The pelvis remains level as you push your hips forward, circle them to the side,to the back and to the other side. If you imagined yourself standing in the middle of a clock your hips would push toward 12:00,3:00,6:00 and 9:00. As you smooth out the corners, your pelvis should not tilt forward nor jut backwards, your legs will remain under you and the knees should not alternate,they would bend in unison as your legs accepts the weight during your circle.

Watching you tube videos are not the best place to learn much of anything since they are not geared toward teaching proper habits.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Yasmina gives the best, clearest descriptions of how to do stuff I swear!

For me, the movement is driven by the hips and the legs are pretty much straight, but I think whichever way you are doing it, just be aware that as a "newbie" your circles won't be as big as someone who's been doing it for a while, and don't try to overcompensate: a small, neat, tight hip circle with good posture and good technique is so much better to do (and to watch) than a big, uncontrolled, all over the place circle. The range of motion comes with time and practice and awareness.

Ok, and just because I'm nosy, how are you learning from youtube? That sounds a bit worrying, simply because if you learn something that's not right, I've had the excruciatingly frustrating experience of how hard it is to unlearn and relearn the correct way, and poor technique will always come back and bite you just when you think you're getting somewhere!

If you can, find yourself a teacher who can correct you face to face. And while I'm being demanding, find one who goes on and on and on and on and on about posture cos it's trickier than you think and far more important than you'd think. If that's not possible, I'm sure the folks on this forum can recommend you a good dvd to start with.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks elle21! You also gave some very good advice too. Posture is sooo important! Like you my hip circls are driven by my hips and my legs are relatively straight, just bending enough as my hip circles around.

Bellygirl, I'm glad you've found us!
    Yasmine