Dina - would you pay a high price to see her?

Kashmir

But you might be tempted to do it just to be annoying, he he he.... ;)

For the workshop - wow that's a lot. Are numbers limited?
The workshops at the Farah Tour were (under 20? 25?) - so I suspect these will be too. Although I'd pay the money to see Dina dance, for me I'd do something like the Winter Warmup in Brisbane for workshops.

She really pulls out the stops for dancers, and she is one of those people with "star power". I don't know how to describe it, but some people are just stunning when you meet them. It's not only beauty or personality, it's almost like an aura. She's got that...she didn't have to dance to be a star.

I get that completely, da Sage. Fonteyn was the same (I'm going back thirty years now!). I remember being at the Royal Academy of Dancing prize-giving.

We were all seated and the Director was in the middle of his speech. Suddenly the hairs stood up on the back of my neck - and obviously on everyone else's too, because every head swivelled to look at the door at the back of the room. Margot Fonteyn was late and trying to sneak in!

Since everyone had stopped anyway, she walked up the central aisle and took her official place on the stage.

I still can't get over the power of her charisma, even when all she was doing was walking.

If I could be sure to see a good long set - without too much local padding (and I was in Sydney) I'd certainly pay it. She is a very good dancer (much better than Randa in my opinion) and real Egyptian dance is best seen live. Video misses a lot of the nuances.

Kashmir, that's another of my concerns. This is billed as Dina "supported by local belly dancers". If it ended up being ten minutes of Dina and the rest is dancers I can see at any Sydney hafla, I'd be really miffed!

taheya

I would pay that to see Dina - if you live nearby- imagine the cost if you had to fly to Cairo on top! I saw Dina live a couple of years ago in Cairo - it was expensive but she was fabulous- Such a great dancer and to be honest, I was not a real fan of hers before I saw her perform live- she is special.

Zumarrad

I would, if I had the money around at the moment. As Kashmir points out it's cheaper than Cairo and the workshops are equivalent to what I paid for Randa. It's not cheap to fly to Sydney but it's a lot cheaper than Cairo (or Canada, which is where I'm headed, for that matter!)

What do you pay for other entertainers? It costs $150 here to see Harry Connick Jr for God's sake. The worst seats for Andre Rieu are $99, the best $350 and the "package" which is dinner and afterparty, photoop etc is $1500. John Mayer, $99 cheap, $150 good seats.

So yes it's a lot of money but it's not outrageous when you consider what other concert tickets cost today.

Dev

Also Amera taking a huge risk booking everything in advance and hoping people will turn up . So 90 dollars is ok for the ticket, whether Dina gives us ninety dollars worth of entertainment or not that is another story. Sydney has many local talents which are better than some of the so called "stars" , so I don't think I will mind paying that much to see the show.

Zumarrad

*nods* Amera is not the cheapest operator out there but she has taken some huge financial risks. I hate to think how much the Farha Tour cost. But for me, it was worth every cent I paid to go, even though I only did two workshops and saw the show... I experienced things I had never experienced before and I honestly feel that it took my dance understanding to a new level.

da Sage

Kashmir, that's another of my concerns. This is billed as Dina "supported by local belly dancers". If it ended up being ten minutes of Dina and the rest is dancers I can see at any Sydney hafla, I'd be really miffed!

Dina danced SEVERAL songs when she came to our town, complete with costume changes. If you have any concerns about what you'll be seeing, why not ask the organizer what the expected time/talent breakdown is?

Amulya

I hadn't even thought of that yet. That happened with the Randa show I went to last year, the first half of the show was all local Randa wannabees. I don't want to look half of an evening at copies, I want each dancer to have their own style, even if they are 'just locals' I would have had much more fun it they would have been themselves in dancing.

But would Dina let her show be only 10 minutes, maybe she wouldn't want that!

HubicRuzz

I hadn't even thought of that yet. That happened with the Randa show I went to last year, the first half of the show was all local Randa wannabees. I don't want to look half of an evening at copies, I want each dancer to have their own style, even if they are 'just locals' I would have had much more fun it they would have been themselves in dancing.

But would Dina let her show be only 10 minutes, maybe she wouldn't want that!

It's a visa requirement that visiting entertainers provide employment for locals

We'll support you if you come our way | The Australian

From memory, the Farrah Folkloric dance troupe did the bulk of the performances for the locals. I think Amera did a short set as well, definitely no Randa copier, and Caroline Evansoff who is originally from Sydney. The rest were from Egypt plus Yasmina of Cairo.

If memory serves correct, Randa performed for 1 hour

HubicRuzz

Well this is the line up of locals that is listed on the website

ATTAR - profession bellydance troupe (Sydney)
Harissa Belly Dance Troupe (Perth)
Hathor Dance Theatre (Sydney)
Pyramidstique - Terezka's School of Danse Orientale (Sydney)

They are probably some of the top troupes in the country.

These are some clips off the top of my head

Harrisa

Video

Last edited:

HubicRuzz

It is a lot! The workshops at the Sydney Mediterranean Festival are $35 for two hours, so it's a big jump. It doesn't say whether the numbers are limited - if it's being held in the town hall, possibly not.

The Sydney Middle Eastern Dance Festival workshops are stuck in a time warp. The haven't changed in the 21 years since it started! The Mystique Festival is charging $35 for 1 hour with locals, so $70 for 2 hours.

$135 is probably the going rate considering what the Winter Warmup is charging for Aida Nour workshops. I think it was a similar rate for Randa Kamel.

Last edited:

Zumarrad

That happened with the Randa show I went to last year, the first half of the show was all local Randa wannabees.

the Farrah Folkloric dance troupe did the bulk of the performances for the locals. I think Amera did a short set as well, definitely no Randa copier, and Caroline Evansoff who is originally from Sydney. The rest were from Egypt plus Yasmina of Cairo.

Wait, Amulya's talking about the Farha Tour? Were we even at the same show? There was not one Randa wannabe *there* except maybe in the audience! You could argue Randa, Caroline and Yasmina all have a bit of Raqia styling but... uh, no.

Amera did do a short set, yes.

Well this is the line up of locals that is listed on the website

ATTAR - profession bellydance troupe (Sydney)
Harissa Belly Dance Troupe (Perth)
Hathor Dance Theatre (Sydney)
Pyramidstique - Terezka's School of Danse Orientale (Sydney)

They are probably some of the top troupes in the country.

Top troupes? Well.....

Attar is a new professional troupe and a very slick outfit. I know nothing about Harissa, but I know the quality of dancers in Perth is high.

As for the dancers from Sydney, though - Terezka doesn't have a permanent professional troupe and I suspect "Pyramidstique" is a group from the Monday night Advanced class, which is what she usually does (as in the clip).

There's a small group of professional dancers associated with Hathor but for Sydneysiders, they're the dancers we see all the time at hafla after hafla, because they work with various troupes as well as solo. Or it could be her student troupe.

Last edited:

HubicRuzz

As for the dancers from Sydney, though - Terezka doesn't have a permanent professional troupe and I suspect "Pyramidstique" is a group from the Monday night Advanced class, which is what she usually does (as in the clip).

Terezka has had a troupe for years now, but the name and line up changes frequently. This year she got some funding from the Egyptian Consulate to start up a theater production group. The core dancers would probably be Nancy, Fifi, Zali and Kiran.

This is Nancy

There's a small group of professional dancers associated with Hathor but for Sydneysiders, they're the dancers we see all the time at hafla after hafla, because they work with various troupes as well as solo. Or it could be her student troupe.

I doubt Jrisi would allow her student troupe to perform at such a big event. I would put money on it that she will want to put the same line up as what was at the Masters Games and this year's Sydney Middle Eastern Dance festival. So that would be the likes of Rose Ottaviano, Nayima Hassan, Phynia Anastas, Heather Myers, Ferah Cicekdag, Danielle Lopes, Patricia, Melissa Cristina, Rachel Bond, Johara, Georgina Escobedo.

Last edited:

Kashmir

$135 is probably the going rate considering what the Winter Warmup is charging for Aida Nour workshops.
Hardly - The Winter Warmup charged $190 per day (or 4 days for $570). A day was 4.5 contact hours with Aida Nour. This works out at about $32/hour if you did the full 4 days. Warmups and cool downs (about another 45 minutes - an hour) was by another teacher. There was also a one hour session on Safe Dance Practice by a physio and generous morning and afternoon teas (juice, pastries, fruit, scones etc etc).

However, next year (with Dr Mo Geddawi) the rumour is the price will rise. I'll update the website as I get time and more information.

HubicRuzz

Hardly - The Winter Warmup charged $190 per day (or 4 days for $570). A day was 4.5 contact hours with Aida Nour. This works out at about $32/hour if you did the full 4 days. Warmups and cool downs (about another 45 minutes - an hour) was by another teacher. There was also a one hour session on Safe Dance Practice by a physio and generous morning and afternoon teas (juice, pastries, fruit, scones etc etc).

However, next year (with Dr Mo Geddawi) the rumour is the price will rise. I'll update the website as I get time and more information.

Ok, I was comparing with the single session rate of $95.

Last edited:

HubicRuzz

Just something that everyone should keep in mind.

Dina has never toured Australia. Promoters have tried in the past and been unsuccessful. She is only coming out because she and Amera know each other from the time they worked in Dubai, at different hotels. This really could be the only time she comes out here, unless she just has such an amazing fun time here that she will want to do it again.

The cost to host something like this can be astronomical. There are always hidden costs that you don't expect. This time around, Amera has to pay for security services for Dina and shacking her with a big burly tablah player isn't going to cut it. No doubt there are other odd ball costs involved as well.

Originally this event was planned to be hosted at the Riverside, which was where the Farha Tour was. However it was already booked out. I was at Bankstown civic centre for a local dabke performance and I think the stage and light are quite professional. More professional than let's say Sutherland entertainment centre. I would say on par with Enmore theatre.

Dina will be performing for one hour. There are 2 levels of pricing. A reserve at $90 and B reserve at $70.

If you enjoyed the Farha Tour concert then this would be a fairly compartable performance.

Kashmir

Ok, I was comparing with the single session rate of $95.
The single session is basically a way for beginners to get a taste. The intensive isn't really set up for drop ins. Most people do the whole thing. A few do just the weekend.

Amulya

Wait, Amulya's talking about the Farha Tour? Were we even at the same show? There was not one Randa wannabe *there* except maybe in the audience! You could argue Randa, Caroline and Yasmina all have a bit of Raqia styling but... uh, no.

Amera did do a short set, yes.

Oops sorry: that was a show in Amsterdam last year. I can't even remember why I posted that in this thread :rolleyes:

Who is going to the Dina show? I am still thinking about it, but don't want to go alone and know nobody there.