Sadie and Kaya in an "erotic" music video....

missanime

LOL but why?? She probably made some good extra money from this...and IMO who cares if even for just a freakin few seconds of her professional bellydance life that she did this pop video lol I personally say Good for Her...glad she knows how to be smart financially

Missanime..many of us care what she is doing to the image of this dance and also what kind of role models this video presents...submissive women pandering to violent meat-heads who praise "smacking said bi8ches up".
You don't care about how a pair of attention-seeking amoral women act when calling themselves bellydancers nor about the protection of children from sexploitation, so be it! But many of us do care.
It's all about money isn't...F*** kids and their futures and F*** an art form from another culture as long as we make loads of wonga!The good man wept!

Oh and I bet they made so much from that trash anyway. And they lose respect and admiration and solid jobs as belly dance instructors. I know what I would prefer as my legacy.

Okie doke whatever you say :D

:rolleyes:

missanime

Misanime is a Sadie fan,Bellyfester, so no doubt she wants to spring to her defence . When you have an idol I have no doubt they can do no wrong in your eyes:rolleyes: and if they are raking in the wonga who cares ...:(

...oh *do* try a much better argument than that pls.

sheesh.

Last edited:

missanime

Glad to see my indignation caused such amusement :confused:
The act of viewing is passive, bad or good images/impressions will get made in peoples minds but does that mean we should have bellydancers actively purporting this poor image!??

If you are then discussing the viewers lack of intelligence who's to say then that the viewers of this video do not then happen to be in a restaurant that has a bellydancer, have pre-formed 'expectations' of her- may engage in offensive behaviour that will upset the dancer but given their low intelligence they feel is appropriate with the images that they have been fed!

what a hoot that would be. :rolleyes:

Look but dont touch??! Hah! Not according to this video!!!

But I'm glad missanime you have come in with a different opinion btw! Adds to the debate!:D

Wow - I somehow indicated that viewers were dumb....?? YIKESSS! lol ;) I must say, quite on the contrary, my dear!

That hiphop 'music' video is firstly to show/highlight the hiphop "artists", *not* the dancers (of ANY kind lol). Therefore, I found the responses to this thread quite amusing..... and akin to criticizing (spl) a professional model for lacking intelligence! In other words, you need to first identify *correctly* what is at hand, rather than merely having a knee-jerk reaction....know what I mean ;) lol.

:dance: HAPPY DANCING ALL! :dance:

Aniseteph

Yes the point of the video is to make those guys and their music look good (hmmm... yeah, that went well then...) and the dancers are just so much window dressing.

But they dragged out the stereotype of the bellydancer as sex slave and K&S turn it from same old Orientalist cliche to something worse by adding the kudos of Real Bellydancers to it. It's not just a bunch of MTV dancers doing the usual writhing but this time in hipscarves (next week cowgirls/nurses/....insert stereotype sexaaay image :rolleyes:), no, we got Real Bellydancers, and hey guess what they are just as dirty as we all suspected, nudge nudge...

:wall: :mad:

Farasha Hanem

There is intelligence, and there is good old-fashioned common sense. Besides, professional does not always = intelligence.

missanime

There is intelligence, and there is good old-fashioned common sense. Besides, professional does not always = intelligence.

sighhh!

professional, by strict definition, simply means the majority of your total income comes from what you do (modelling, medicine, bellydancing, accounting, etc etc).

and how the heck did you decide to throw a strict association between intelligence and a professional job....?? LOL. no--you may not agree or like that sadie did the hiphop video. but then again - wth are we discussing again??????!

try and stick w/the issue here ;) LOLLLLLLLL:dance:

Farasha Hanem

sighhh!

professional, by strict definition, simply means the majority of your total income comes from what you do (modelling, medicine, bellydancing, accounting, etc etc).

and how the heck did you decide to throw a strict association between intelligence and a professional job....?? LOL. no--you may not agree or like that sadie did the hiphop video. but then again - wth are we discussing again??????!

try and stick w/the issue here ;) LOLLLLLLLL:dance:

I'm sticking with it as well as you are. :rolleyes:

Attaching bellydance to the hip-hop culture is detrimental not only to the dance, but also to the young people who watch YouTube. Ignoring things like this video only continues to give people the wrong idea about bellydance, and makes our job of educating those people that much harder.

Last edited:

Qamarain

As a university student I def need money but I have turned down music video opportunities because I want to be known as a dancer, not a lingerie clad girl crawling all over some singer along with other women. I hope Sadie didn't do this because she needed money...

I find it hard to believe that travelling the world and charging $3,000 for a workshop, Sadie would need the money of a badly made, cheap looking hip hop video. This whole thing just makes me sad and I don't know what to think about it. I have been a big fan of Sadie but seeing this video and some others she has previously performed in together with Kaya, I can't help taking her less seriously as a Middle Eastern dancer.

Despite this crap, Sadie is a sweet person, very kind with a heart of gold. :)

maria_harlequin

I find it hard to believe that travelling the world and charging $3,000 for a workshop, Sadie would need the money of a badly made, cheap looking hip hop video. This whole thing just makes me sad and I don't know what to think about it. I have been a big fan of Sadie but seeing this video and some others she has previously performed in together with Kaya, I can't help taking her less seriously as a Middle Eastern dancer.

Despite this crap, Sadie is a sweet person, very kind with a heart of gold. :)

I don't think their motives for making this video was for money since it's a badly produced music video and the artists are not well known...from what I can see, they probably can't afford to pay them more than $200 (the other girls probably got $50 each!) I think either Sadie or Kaya are close friends of either the producers, the studio, the record label, or maybe even the rappers and they were asked to help out and make an appearance in the video. I've done this before to help friends out when they were short on money and needed something for their independent films/TV appearances. I understand helping friends out but agreeing to do something like this is just plain sad!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Enough! I think this thread has been done to death. Abusive wording will not be tolerated.

Aniseteph

lol
and what to you would consistute a "real" bellydancer? lol

:dance:

The finer points of "is it bellydance?" and what any of us think Kaya and Sadie are is beside the point.

They are being used to add "real bellydancer" cachet to this video, and any YouTube perve who likes what he sees can check out their other clips and their own websites where they are presented as real skilled bellydancers, professionals, international experts, the works.

With MTV set-dressing dancers in hipscarves Joe Public might just read it for the stereotyped dressing-up it is, or at least it is easy to explain (if he cares) that actually that's just a cheesy old Western fantasy.

Now add Kaya and Sadie and try to explain that no, this isn't what belly dance and belly dancers are about. "Look" says Joe Public and a bunch of wannabe sexeee baby belly dancers, and the people who might hire you, and your workmates... "they ARE belly dancers, this is what belly dance is (just as we suspected... sluts) ". :rolleyes:

Whether they are super lovely people or not, fabulous dancers, great teachers blah blah blah, and what they get up to in taxis, is irrelevant. People are angry because they are misrepresenting belly dance.

Emma_Williams

ERRRR How is that a abusive word....i cam a christian and i dont see that as offensive.

So people can come on here and be rude but i say one word and i get told off for it.

RIDICULOUS!!

Emma_Williams

sorry for my outburst...but some people get on my nerves lol..pmt and being being rude on forums to my buddies equals in me being a little brat...sowwwwwwwwwwyyyyyyyyy

Reen.Blom

Well, nothing to give credit to Sadie/Kaya as dancers.... cos after watching it all i wonder... what it has to do with bellydancing or dancing for that matter???? Didnt notice anyone dancing....

As for costuming.... well... bedlah IS a harem fantasy outfit, so what to expect?

Sadie, that is cheap cheap cheap and trashy. Such talent sold so cheaply.

I also work for a Good cause. Cause I need da money. :(

lizaj

...oh *do* try a much better argument than that pls.

sheesh.

On what other grounds might you defend this performance? You have said you are a fan of Sadie previously so I assumed this might be your explanation. So I think think it is your place to justify why you might defend them not mine!:confused:

lizaj

I see all the negative comments on the video has magically disappeared and there are in their place innane compliments:lol:

missanime

I'm sticking with it as well as you are. :rolleyes:

Attaching bellydance to the hip-hop culture is detrimental not only to the dance, but also to the young people who watch YouTube. Ignoring things like this video only continues to give people the wrong idea about bellydance, and makes our job of educating those people that much harder.

...Then I certainly must wish you the very best of luck in your teeny weeny little world you live in :)