Sadie and Kaya in an "erotic" music video....

missanime

On what other grounds might you defend this performance? You have said you are a fan of Sadie previously so I assumed this might be your explanation. So I think think it is your place to justify why you might defend them not mine!:confused:

Misanime is a Sadie fan,Bellyfester, so no doubt she wants to spring to her defence . When you have an idol I have no doubt they can do no wrong in your eyes:rolleyes: and if they are raking in the wonga who cares ...:(

I admire. Just as I admire numerous others. (....Yes I know, HUGE shock this must be to you, I'm sure :lol::lol::lol:)

Admiration however, does NOT, nor is it synonomous, w/what YOU claimed I thought - "...have an idol", "....do not wrong", "...who cares". With all due respect hon - are you seriously that demented??

(You might want to re-think before you go assuming. ANYTHING!)

MissVega

I'm sticking with it as well as you are. :rolleyes:

Attaching bellydance to the hip-hop culture is detrimental not only to the dance, but also to the young people who watch YouTube. Ignoring things like this video only continues to give people the wrong idea about bellydance, and makes our job of educating those people that much harder.

Thank you Farsha! That is exactly why I posted this/shared it because they have professional belly dance websites and are well known professional dancers and when they do a video like this they discredit belly dance and give it a false reputation which it has had to fight off for so long as it is. It was indeed very sad to see such public figures do it such a disservice.

I personally have never studied with either of the women and am sure they are lovely women in their own right. This post wasn't started to slam them, but rather to discuss how belly dance can get a less than favourable reputation by misrepresentation in the popular media.

I didn't want this to cause an argument or get people upset by doing it. :confused:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Thank you Farsha! That is exactly why I posted this/shared it because they have professional belly dance websites and are well known professional dancers and when they do a video like this they discredit belly dance and give it a false reputation which it has had to fight off for so long as it is. It was indeed very sad to see such public figures do it such a disservice.

I personally have never studied with either of the women and am sure they are lovely women in their own right. This post wasn't started to slam them, but rather to discuss how belly dance can get a less than favourable reputation by misrepresentation in the popular media.

I didn't want this to cause an argument or get people upset by doing it. :confused:

Even Princess Farhana has come out and publicly stated we need to start drawing a line.

We work very VERY hard to dispel the myth that bellydancers just writhe around for the pleasure of men -- and then these two come right out and illustrate the exact opposite.:rolleyes:

FWIW, I think from the conversations on other forums, that "full schedule" that Sadie has in 2010 is going to be a lot less full in 2011. Event producers around me are saying they're done with her. She may be a good teacher, but we have NO shortage of good teachers in the US.

Salome

Administrator
Hello to all,

I've moved this thread to "The Sauna" as it seems a more appropriate place for it at this stage. Just a generic reminder to no one in particular - in a sensitive topic with contrary views, let's keep civility at the fore. Thanks so much!

Shanazel

Dirty mares, meatheads, infractions, and official closures- boy, let me miss a couple of days and there is all sorts of weirdness to catchup on.

ababalond

oh i see.. well, what can i say!?

um, i kinda prejudice as i can't stand ganster rap, not a jot, in fact, i hate it, and the values it stands for. but being a former soho queen with a fondness for post victorian occult and philosphical literature, i wouldn't be inclined to sympathise with it, being so beyond me. personally i find this a little crude and demeaming, one thing is the beauty of the human form, another thing is the vulgar subjection of it by peasants. but thats me, others would beg to differ. some would say a guy bellydancing alone, but also in glitzy garb, is just wrong and emasculating. so its all relative. oh but Sadie, for why, i liked you so. some of aesthetics i like, but if it could be more respectful. if the women were more raised to little dancing goddesses, rather than a brothel in the desert in some god forsaken place. Why Sadie, why! but she is a gorgeous woman and great dancer, if perhaps out of context here.

Erotic indeed, uh!

shiradotnet

There's a certain thing called artistic freedom. As Westerners possessed of expansive horizons, we need to be receptive to new artistic forms.

I don't have a problem with new artistic forms emerging.

However, I DO have a problem with someone trying to call their new artistic form by the name of an art form that already means something entirely different. That is known as lying.

I have a real problem with people who lie in order to sell more of whatever they're selling.

If someone wants to deviate from the boundaries that define belly dance, they have the freedom to do that, but if they keep calling their new thing belly dance then they're lying. People who want to innovate should invent their own, new names to describe their own, new dance forms.

Aniseteph

Here's an interesting thing from way back in 2003.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTEESvS68yw

Same orientalist snakey schtick but at least no one is pretending it's anything other than MTV dancers playing harem girls. Strangely similar though, even down to the carelessly toying with sharp weapon while surrounded by girls scene. (He seems to have a bigger one though. :rolleyes:). And the focus on, er, "floorwork". Maybe these things are compulsory elements in this type of video, I don't know...

It makes the Kaya & Sadie one look worse than ever.

:D I want to make an even cheaper version now; sand from the builder's merchant, hubby can sit in a tent in the garden with a knotted hanky on his head, brandishing a garden trowel and reciting terrible rhymes and single entendres while I make an exhibition of myself in bedlah with no skirt. Yum. :shok:

Aniseteph

Ooooh Aniseteph, don't forget to post pictures (we won't flame you lol)!!!!:lol:

Alas I think it will just have to remain an artistic dream - I can't see hubby keeping a straight face for long enough, not with those sort of lyrics and a symbolic trowel. :rolleyes:

lizaj

OK so I went and watched a Youtube video when they ARE bellydancing just to see and deliberatly picked the most classical I could find (only it was the techno version of cousre)
Was I a happier bunny or am I still a member of JHS (Jellus Haters Synonymous)??
Guess
(pasted from Bhuz)

Pleasant dancer

Here's an interesting thing from way back in 2003.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTEESvS68yw

Same orientalist snakey schtick but at least no one is pretending it's anything other than MTV dancers playing harem girls. Strangely similar though, even down to the carelessly toying with sharp weapon while surrounded by girls scene. (He seems to have a bigger one though. :rolleyes:). And the focus on, er, "floorwork". Maybe these things are compulsory elements in this type of video, I don't know...

It makes the Kaya & Sadie one look worse than ever.

:D I want to make an even cheaper version now; sand from the builder's merchant, hubby can sit in a tent in the garden with a knotted hanky on his head, brandishing a garden trowel and reciting terrible rhymes and single entendres while I make an exhibition of myself in bedlah with no skirt. Yum. :shok:

Riding a camel in that red costume would seriously damage your bum! :lol:

Aniseteph

:lol: ouch, especially if you've been dancing in the hot sun.

She's probably in her saggy old tracksuit bottoms for that shot ;)

Shanazel

Hmm, I might need a tee shirt, too. "Exaggeration" is the word that comes to mind- seems like an awful lot of chest tossing and boob bopping goes on.