A Teacher's Curriculum

silverslyph

I find myself faced with the daunting task of taking 13yrs of muscle memory and instinct back into English. I've decided it's time to use this art I've spent half of my life learning, and I want to teach. In fact where I live there are no teachers. As far as i know I'm the only dancer in town, and this really isn't right. I'm at a loss for a curriculum, theres so much to teach-Where do you begin?

I found Shemiran Ibrahim's website, researching my dilemma. I wish to know is her teaching package "Belly Dancing from the Heart Method" worth buying, or is there another one that may be better? Or should I just build my own? Help!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I find myself faced with the daunting task of taking 13yrs of muscle memory and instinct back into English. I've decided it's time to use this art I've spent half of my life learning, and I want to teach. In fact where I live there are no teachers. As far as i know I'm the only dancer in town, and this really isn't right. I'm at a loss for a curriculum, theres so much to teach-Where do you begin?

I found Shemiran Ibrahim's website, researching my dilemma. I wish to know is her teaching package "Belly Dancing from the Heart Method" worth buying, or is there another one that may be better? Or should I just build my own? Help!

I haven't seen Shemiran Ibrahim's but have heard it is very good. As for any other teaching systems. I am sure there are others but don't know of them. maybe someone else will have some on info on that.
~Mosaic

One of the problems with belly dance teaching is that there are so few resources to train teachers.

I started with Shemiran and I loved her approach to teaching beginners - putting the movements into groups, then using improvisation rather than choreography to cement the learning. So from that perspective, I can see her package being useful. She's also a canny businesswoman and I'm sure the package will have advice on that side of things.

Last edited:

Samira_dncr

I am pretty sure that Taaj has an entire program dedicated to this sort of dilemma. Her website is here:

The Belly Dance Trainer

I don't know any specifics, but when I've talked to her personally she seems very level headed and understands the business side of things too.

taaj

thanks!

Thanks, Samira!

Yes, I do have a teaching certification program. It covers things you should consider before the class like policies, course description, lesson plans, goals and objectives; teaching methods; body mechanics; music theory; rhythms; zils; musicality; choreography; and improvisation. The lesson planning chapter can help you figure out what to teach to help you and your students meet your goals. The teaching methods chapter can help you figure out how to teach. The rest enhances your knowledge so that you do a better job of breaking things down in bite sized pieces, keeping it interesting, and you can tackle topics from various angles. It's a distance learning program, so you don't have to travel unless you want to. For those who want to, I recommend attending an Intermediate Intensive workshop so that you can see the teaching style in action. You can purchase the material without going through the certification track.

I am not familiar with Shemiran Ibrahim, but Hadia also has a teaching program. Hadia is one of my favorite teachers. She's solid and has good energy as a person. I love her breakdown and deep understanding of the dance and the body. More information on her can be found at Hadia's New Site

I wouldn't go the do-it-yourself route. That's what I did, and it's so much harder to reinvent the wheel than it is to start with a good wheel and tweak it to fit your goals and personality and add your strengths.

As for which program to choose, I'd go with the one that fits your goals, budget, and personality. I always like to check in with people who have tried it as well. Not sure if Hadia has testimonials on her site, but Shemiran has a review here: Testimonials: Amera Eid - Resource for Belly Dance Teachers and Students, and Women's Issues and I have testimonials here: The Belly Dance Trainer Certification Program- Testimonials. Of course we'd only put up the most flattering views, so check other sources as well. :)

Best of luck on your search.

Taaj

Darshiva

As one of the first graduates of Shemiran Ibrahim's Teacher Training program, I highly recommend it.

As a complete novice to teaching bellydance, it gave me a very solid lesson plan to start with, and from there I have adapted & changed it as I've gotten more experienced.

Also, the book covers the business side of things extensively. I would absolutely recommend it for anyone wanting to start teaching bellydance with a good solid understanding of how to do so!