Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool More control over shimmies

Hey ladies and gents,
    I just thought I would share this tip with all of you. At a recent bellydance event here, I heard that Amar Gamal and Virginia dedicate at least 5 minutes a day to just shimmying. Not layering or anything, just standing there and shimmying.
    I thought this was interesting, but I'd have a hard time remembering to do this for 5 minutes a day because my schedule is so random. So instead, I shimmy while in the shower.
    I've been doing this for quite some time now, and I've noticed that I can layer a shimmy over anything much more readily, and I have a lot more control over my shimmies. I've also noticed mentally that I can think a lot less about shimmying and more about other aspects of the dance. Keep dancing everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shimmy Practice

Hi Rebecca, your post was an excellent reminder on how consistent practice can make one a better dancer. Shimmying for 5 minutes actually takes alot of muscle strength and endurance and the byproduct is greater muscle or kinetic memory. Too many people want to learn everything so fast that they forget the major ingredient of practicing the art. Thanks for your tip!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

shower shimmies - I like it! I normally mentally run through routines while in the shower, but shower shimmies sounds like fun

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea Rebecca! I doubt if I even could shimmy for 5 minutes, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey! It is a good idea indeed... I don't shimmy in the shower because that is usually the first thing in my mornings and at that time it is hard to execute even the necessary movements. But I do shimmy when I get out and start brushing my teeth. And when I do the dishes. And when I wait either the traffic lights to go green or for the bus. And it really does help a lot

As it is rather wintery here now, I also practice contracting stomach muscles while sitting on the bus to work - underneath all the layers of clothes I am wearing, it is not visible at all

Post Thanks / Like

I just shimmy....whenever. It's hard though because my muscles don't have that much control....my mom kicks butt at it though. I really don't get why when she only tried three times and she got it and i have been trying for a few weeks and I'm still not "getting" it. Eek. Not fair.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Responding to everyone at once...

Yasmine - you bring up a good point. Maybe a lot of us dancers are too focused on being able to do something technically astounding once, but not so much on actual skill. I also found after doing this I can shimmy much more efficiently - as in I don't get nearly as out of breath, because I know exactly what muscles I can use.

Mouse - what about mentally running through routines *while* shimmying? Now there's an adventure. Just don't try to shave at the same time... disasters may result.

Moon - if you work at it, I promise you could. Start by just shimmying when you have shampoo in your hair, and then progress until you can do the full 5 minutes! I believe in you!

Maariku - I completely understand. I can barely form coherent sentences when I first get up in the morning, I'm a teenager still! (Although I am quickly running out of teenager time) All I can do when I get out of bed is pop my contacts in and stagger to class....Oh, and yay for practicing at strange times (on the bus, while doing dishes...) Ever find your in the middle of a conversation with someone and your hips have decided that it's time to start practicing bellydance without you telling them to?

Starrbursts - keep up the practice! And talk to your instructor and make sure you are using the right muscles to try to shimmy... that could be the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I generally shimmy when I get out of the shower and discover one of my kids has stolen my towel. Gotta dry off somehow. I learned the techinique from Kelda, a golden retriever I used to have, who shimmied every time she got out of the river...
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Hmmm, I generally shimmy when I get out of the shower and discover one of my kids has stolen my towel. Gotta dry off somehow. I learned the techinique from Kelda, a golden retriever I used to have, who shimmied every time she got out of the river...
    Shanazel, you seem to have hip upon one of the many different uses of the shimmy. Drying off.... I've never thought of that one before =)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maariku View Post
    But I do shimmy when I get out and start brushing my teeth.....
    As it is rather wintery here now, I also practice contracting stomach muscles while sitting on the bus to work - underneath all the layers of clothes I am wearing, it is not visible at all
    I'm a toothbrushing shimmier too! And camels at the bus stop - very small ones . Difficult to do Egyptian walk without looking like a total nutter though.

Hee hee just think of all those bellydancers around the world all secretly practising as we go about our daily routines!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast