Guidelines

Jane

I'm thinking about having some class guidelines (nice word for rules) for my new teaching venture. Any suggestions?

Shanazel

Class will start promptly at x o'clock. If you are late, please come in quietly and find a place in the back row to avoid disrupting other students.

Please confine private conversation to before and after class and during breaks.

When bribing the teacher, please buy a good brand of chocolate.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

There can be only one teacher in class. Please do not correct your fellow students.

No street shoes on the dance floor.

Can you have a dress code? I have 3 students who come to class wearing scrubs, and then ask "Am I doing this right?" Well how can I tell, if I can't see the outline of your body at all?!

Aniseteph

Please be considerate with your choice of hipscarf - I don't enjoy spending my lesson avoiding the debris that's fallen off yours.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Cell phones turned off and no wearing socks

Salome can I ask why you can't wear socks in class? Just curious:D In winter I wear socks with soft split sole jazz shoes because I get very cold dancing on bare floors & have actually danced in just socks once when I forgot my shoes.
~Mosaic

adiemus

No noisy hipscarves please (it's hard to hear over the noise)
Take turns being at the front or near the mirror (so others can have a turn)
Bring your own water bottle!

Shanazel

I'm not answering for Salome, but I don't allow socks to be worn alone in my classes because they are too slippery and I don't need dancers falling and hurting themselves. Dance paws or some other kind of dance soles are acceptable- even encouraged- but never socks.

Please arrive early so you are ready to start class promptly on time - we will not delay the class to accommodate late-comers.

Over the years, I've seen so many studios where the teacher waits until a reasonable number of students are ready before she starts teaching. The first few weeks, the class starts 5 minutes late - then 10 minutes late - then 15 minutes late. If you give students a break, they'll take advantage of it - funny how they miraculously manage to turn up on time if you start on time.

Jane

I'm guilty of doing that in my old classes. It's true, they just keep showing up later and later. Gonna love a fresh start!

Unless someone has a foot fungus and no dance shoes, I agree one hundred percent about the socks. Very slippery.

Jane

I didn't include a rule about shedding coin hip scarves as I would be a huge hypocrite. :lol: I still like the silly things on occasion and the noise don't bother me. If they shed too much, or people complain they will get removed. They are very popular for class attire around here. Not for workshops of course.

So far...

• No gum, food, or drinks in the class room. Water only. Bring your own water bottle.
• Wear appropriate class attire. (I will have specifics listed on the website)
• Only paying participants are allowed in the room during class time. Don’t bring your kids or friends and relatives unless they’re taking and paying for the class too.
• No filming or pictures without permission.
• Please leave your daily troubles at the door. Class should be a positive time to allow everyone to focus.
• You will receive feedback and correction in class to help you to progress as a dancer.
• Cell phones must be off at all times unless there’s a REAL emergency or you are on call for work.
• Be on time. If you miss the warm up and stretch, you may stay and observe the class, or proceed quietly to the back and warm up and stretch on your own.
• I will occasionally physically guide you in class. If you have a problem being touched, tell me and I will find a different way to help you.
• If you don't understand ask me and not your classmates. They might have the exact same question you do.
• Respect yourself and each other.
• Handouts and choreographies are my intellectual property. Please don’t reproduce them, teach or perform them without my permission. Most of the time I will say yes, but ask me first. If you would like me to choreograph a piece just for you, I can give you a free quote.
• Do not share, copy or download music or videos illegally. Respect copyright law.
• Please don't chatter with your classmates or play finger cymbals while I'm talking. Less downtime and interruption leaves more time for learning.
• All of our studio spaces are scent free to accommodate those who are sensitive.
• Relax and enjoy class 

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Looks good Jane, you have a typo with scent missing 'c':D The chatter/play finger cymbals is a good one, so many times I have wanted to yell in a very loud voice "shut-up" and i am not the teacher :lol: She stops teaching until everyone is quiet, but we miss the minute or whatever it is until they shush! Very frustrating.

Coin hipscarves are popular here as well and I like them as do both my teachers, we also wear just beaded or mixed beads and coin. No one complains.
~Mosaic

Last edited:

Daimona

Unless someone has a foot fungus and no dance shoes, I agree one hundred percent about the socks. Very slippery.

:think: Foot fungus shouldn’t be the only reason for wearing socks/shoes in class.

I'd rather wear socks, even slippery ones, if I've forgotten my dance shoes/ballet slippers than dancing barefoot - simply to avoid getting foot fungus, plantar warts or other plantar diseases.

Shanazel

That should go without saying! It's so obvious...:lol::dance:

Well, maybe... but you can't mention chocolate too often!

I see your point, Daimona, but I still would refuse to let a student dance in socks. Falls are too big an issue.

Daimona

Falls are too big an issue.

I do understand the responsibility you feel for the students.

But I'd actually rather fall in class (after all it's my responsibility, and I don't bother getting a few bruises that'll heal in a couple of weeks) than go through a hard cryosurgery for several weeks again (I did once, then walked barefoot in a public place and got a multiresistent bacterial infection in my foot :rolleyes:)

Last edited: