Guidelines

Jane

In the U.S. if someone falls in my class, they would verily happily sue me; even if they knew it was their fault. Things really have gotten that bad here. :rolleyes:

I suppose I could present it as, "socks can be a slip hazard and you dance in them at your own risk." It's crazy that I even have to think of these things.

shiradotnet

I personally don't hand out written "class behavior" guidelines. I prefer to begin with the assumption that every student knows how to behave like a responsible aduilt, and then I deal with the exceptions as necessary.

I make a strong effort to start class exactly on time. If someone shows up late, she misses the opportunity to take advantage of time with me that she paid for. That is her decision to make. I try to lead by example - I don't see a need to put words on paper stating that people should show up on time. Sirena is right - if the teacher waits until she has a quorum to start class, then people will start turning up later and later.

I rarely have difficulty with students chatting when they should be dancing. That's most likely to happen when the teacher stops all the action for a moment, and then starts to talk about something. Or, it happens if the teacher starts everybody doing a drill and then takes a long time to go around the room and correct everyone. With a little thought to how you pace your class, you can prevent most of this, and the rest can be dealt with as an exception.

I do have a one-page "notes" page that I distribute on the first day of class which confirms the dates class will meet, provides my phone number and email address, offers suggestions on what to wear to class, etc. But it doesn't contain any behavioral guidelines.

shiradotnet

Interesting. I wear socks myself to teach, and I suggest them to my students.

I tell my students "no bare feet" because of the risk of torquing the knee when doing moves that involve pivoting on the supporting foot such as half-turns, spins, etc.

Aniseteph

Good point - although we do barefoot I think the next time we get a turn-heavy choreography I'll start bringing the ballet slippers or give dance paws a try. I find pivots particularly difficult and it's probably related to being nervous of my knees. One of them was on the verge of surgery at one point (but then it got better :confused: :). Joints are weird).

I went to a Lebanese style workshop once; heeled dance shoes with a bit of slip, and OMG I could actually do the turns.

Shanazel

Almost all my students have dance paws or something similar by the second or third class. Many go buy those little sockies you wear under mules- just a band that goes around the ball of the foot. Cheap, works great.

Jane

I think socks as a slip hazard depends on the floor. When I teach on laminate, its very very slippery, marley is slightly squashy so socks are ok, and real wood floors it depends on the finish. I despise concrete and carpet.

A lot of women that come to my classes have been coming for a while and they all know each other pretty well now. Sometimes they get chatty catching up with each other. I also think sometimes I lose a little authority because a good many of the students are ten to fifteen years older than I am. Maybe that's only in my mind. :confused:

Daimona

A lot of women that come to my classes have been coming for a while and they all know each other pretty well now. Sometimes they get chatty catching up with each other. I also think sometimes I lose a little authority because a good many of the students are ten to fifteen years older than I am. Maybe that's only in my mind. :confused:

Yes, this is only in your mind. If you think and believe that you are in control, you will be in control. If you don't believe it from the beginning, things might start to slip.

Most of my students (app. 75%) have been older than me. I had less problems with them in class than the teens I once were hired to teach (they really wanted to learn hip-hop, not bd..:rolleyes:).

Jane

Most of my students (app. 75%) have been older than me. I had less problems with them in class than the teens I once were hired to teach (they really wanted to learn hip-hop, not bd..:rolleyes:).

I've done teen classes before and I thought they were easy to keep in line. Maybe because I'm used to being around teens, I have one and all of her friends too. :) I'm used to directing lots of kids, but not ladies old enough to be my aunts or mothers!

I used to teach a teen belly dance class at a Hip Hop/Jazz/Lyrical school. They were fantastic dancers who wanted their belly dance straight Egyptian. They didn't like fusion at all, not even Suhaila! I think it's because they already had a performing outlet for their other styles and wanted to try something very different.

Daimona

I've done teen classes before and I thought they were easy to keep in line. Maybe because I'm used to being around teens, I have one and all of her friends too. :) I'm used to directing lots of kids, but not ladies old enough to be my aunts or mothers!

:D So all in all, it's what we are used to be around...
If it had been 10 years earlier, I wouldn't have had any problems at all and I could have taught them hip hop as well. :cool:

lizaj

I was told in training not to allow socks or to say "at your own risk". I recommend ballet slippers. Once you do give people advice no gum,no socks if they chose to ignore you then that's their responsibility.
I assume we all have PLI these days.:rolleyes:

Jane

I was told in training not to allow socks or to say "at your own risk". I recommend ballet slippers. Once you do give people advice no gum,no socks if they chose to ignore you then that's their responsibility.
I assume we all have PLI these days.:rolleyes:

I have my PLI, even if it wasn't required at the studios where I teach, I'd want it anyway. It's really not that much and I sleep better at night. ;)

lizaj

Ah! Thank you! :)
(And thank god, we don't have a culture of suing like that over here...)

Just you wait..when the ambulance chasers get to your shores ,it'll make the Viking invasion of our shores look like a stroll in the park..:lol: