Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Isolating those hippy hips

Hello everyone,

When I practise, I try to isolate my hips i.e let the hips do the work instead of the legs e.g in vertical hip isolations. I understand that the legs give the range of motion, but in our everyday lives the hips and legs work in tandem. When it comes to practising, I actually have to remember to use the hips to drive the up and down movements e.g in isolations, downs etc, and not let the hip movement be generated by the legs. What drills can you suggest that will help me achieve this.

Thanx

Nym

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's available for you to purchase where you are, but I think you would benefit from Michelle Joyce's Drills Drills Drills DVD. She has a section where she goes through various leg positions while drilling hip motions, so that you rely on the hips rather than only the legs. Very useful.

Post Thanks / Like

The "hip" is a joint. Joints in and of themselves don't create motion or movement.

When you do any "hip" work, you call upon one or more muscle groups to contract. Some Egyptian teachers will tell you a "hip lift" is accomplished by contracting the hamstrings, thus straightening the working leg and creating a visual "up" of the hip. Some teachers tell you to contract the gluteus to achieve a "lift," but it's more common nowadays to teach a hip lift by contracting the obliques and/or psoas muscles in the abdomen to pull the hip bone up toward the rib cage.

Ava Fleming's "Sizzling Hips" dvd gives a breakdown of pretty much all the ways you can do hip isolations. She also includes drills on that dvd. I like Michelle's Drills Drills Drills as well. Good stuff on all Michelle's dvds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    but it's more common nowadays to teach a hip lift by contracting the obliques and/or psoas muscles in the abdomen to pull the hip bone up toward the rib cage.
    Yes, this is what I know as a hip lift. Usually accompanied by glute squeezes to stop the motion and keep it sharp and controlled.

Nice post, Aziyade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jujube View Post
    Yes, this is what I know as a hip lift. Usually accompanied by glute squeezes to stop the motion and keep it sharp and controlled.

Nice post, Aziyade.

Thanks! Hadia also teaches you to use the adductors to sharpen and emphasize the movement, but I've been away from her training for so long I think I forgot how!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with Hadia! She's a new one for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hadia's New Site

She is a FANTASTIC instructor. Her original dvds are great, but she has also released a 4-volume dvd set that I fully recommend. Unfortunately she doesn't tour the US much anymore, but if you get a chance to workshop with her, TAKE IT!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Aziyade,

Didi not get time to look up the psoas muscles as yet. Are they muscles we consciously use? If not, should I look for exercises/stretches that will help me become familiar with them. Would this approach make me more conscious of them when I am practising?

Thanx

Nym

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nym View Post
    Didi not get time to look up the psoas muscles as yet. Are they muscles we consciously use? If not, should I look for exercises/stretches that will help me become familiar with them. Would this approach make me more conscious of them when I am practising?
    The obliques are used quite a bit too. You use these when you lean to the side. For a hip movment you use the same muscles but hold your torso still.\

Another one I sometimes use is to get people to lie on the floor and try and get their hip moveing towards their ears. Hard to cheat with legs that way

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx Kashmir. Will try that this evening.

Nym

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast