Confused

GypsyStacey

So I have a question about the best way to practice. I have one DVD & one that I’ve ordered that has been shipped & is on the way & the one I do have I practice & yes do so in front of my reflection. That’s great & all, but I don’t just want to practice moves, nor do I want to just do chirography. Though I can see learning combos as helpful. So this is my thought. Do the DVD’s to work on technique & then take some time put on some music & just let myself dance what I feel fits with the music. Yes still in front of the mirror. Any other tips that would help me get better at home. I do take a class once a week as well.

Kashmir

Excellent idea. Yes, I'd suggest warmup, drill moves (with DVD if you want), combos, put on some music and dance, then cooldown and streches.

Enjoy.

BellyDanceX2

Best Way to Practice

GypsyStacey,

The best way to practice is what your intuition tells you.

Yes, practicing what the DVDs show you can give you new ideas, but your inspiration and interpretation of the music will be what really keeps you going.

Best of Luck,

Balianne

GypsyStacey

GypsyStacey,

The best way to practice is what your intuition tells you.

Yes, practicing what the DVDs show you can give you new ideas, but your inspiration and interpretation of the music will be what really keeps you going.

Best of Luck,

Balianne

yes i understand it's best to practice what my intution tells me but with such a limited dance vocab after tonight 2 lessons & some BD dvd not always sure what to do....lol. i only want to use the DVD's to practice technique & increase my dance vocab...BUT...i WANT to be a very fluid, natural, graceful, inspired bellydancer. so i agree it will come from intution, but hard to do that now when i'm limited on moves i know how to do, but i did notice last night it is coming.

BellyDanceX2

i only want to use the DVD's to practice technique & increase my dance vocab...BUT...i WANT to be a very fluid, natural, graceful, inspired bellydancer.

It's awesome that you are so inspired and are using both classes and videos. What DVDs are you working with?

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Don't always practice in front of the mirror cause you can become mirror dependent. Practicing without a mirror or watching a video can help you learn what your body feels like when you do a movement. It helps you get in tune with your body and that is helpful to know when something is off.

I've seen many people freak out when they dance and realize they became mirror dependent without even noticing it.

GypsyStacey

bellydancex2 ~ i have 'learn how to belly dance' i picked up at walmart for $5 i figured if it was bad oh well it's only $5. & it's not to bad a brief history of BD & very basic moves but for me it's good as they moves she does we do in class, but no combos. my other dvd 'belly dance basics and beyond' now that is an instructional dvd & then some...lol. a lot of isolations, compound moves, & practice combos. apparently you can have just verbal cues, or turn the voice off & just have the music.

so now my plan is to practice some with a dvd every day & looking at myself with a mirrior & then some with just music & no mirrior. i'm remembering more of the cherography my instructor is teaching us so that will help. i figure that way i get both see what i'm doing wrong with the mirror plus not get to dependant on it.