Hi! I'm Balianne

BellyDanceX2

I live in the Midwest region of the US.

I've been dancing for myself for 15 years, and teaching for the last 5. I started teaching at the request of a drum-maker in my area and discovered how much I loved it.

My passion in teaching is bringing absolute beginners to the dance & teaching at belly dance parties. I love seeing women light up for the first time as they unleash this new form of expression.

I look forward to making new friends, sisters-in-dance. I travel a lot, so I hope to even meet up for tea with some of you someday.

~Balianne

Mosaic

Super Moderator
. I must ask, is there significance in the Bali part of your name? I ask because I lived in Indonesia for 11 years and 2 of those years was in bali, so I have very fond memories of Bali:D
~Mosaic

BellyDanceX2

What's in a (stage) name?

Hi Mosaic,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

My "bellydance name," Balianne Masala has a two-fold long & short story to it. ;)

The short story is this: I was meditating on a stage name at the same time as loading the virtual world Second Life onto my laptop.

I was following a random train of thought which stemmed from my birthday, which happens to be an African feast day for the nile river goddess Yemaya. Balianne is the name that Yemaya was called by transplanted worshipers in the west, and also the name of a voodo priestess, as it turns out. The preistess, Balianne, some said was a direct incarnation of the goddess.

So, the name has multicultural significance for me - I consider myself to be a citizen of the world, as well as a connection to my birthday. Masala, while having multicultural culinary connection, happened to be one of the last names I was offered on Second Life.

Ta-da... I realize it's a long and rambling answer... I hope you're not too terribly sorry you asked!

~Balianne

P.S. I would LOVE to go to Bali someday.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
No, not at all sorry I asked. It is nice to know how people choose their names. I know of Yemaya, but have never heard of her Balianne name. Thanks for explaining.

Hope you do manage to go to Bali one day, it is incredibly beautiful, truly a paradise. We also lived in Java in the 2 main cities of Java Jakarta & Surabaya, both are not anywhere on my favourites list:D I spent a lot of time in Bali when living in those cities as well, just to get away from them. It was heaven to finally actually move there.
~Mosaic

BellyDanceX2

@Farasha & Gypsy - Thanks for the warm welcome! It's showing to be a friendly place already!

@Mosaic - I'm long overdue for some traveling. I think my next jaunt outside of the states may be Jamaica this year or Europe next year. You sound very well travelled, where else have you been?