Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Undulations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Undulations

~sigh~ anyone else have trouble with them or is it just me? mind you trying to get it from a DVD not the best so i'm looking forward to when my teacher does them in class. is my body even made to move like that?

Post Thanks / Like

I have trouble with them the way my teacher teaches them..because I learned them backwards many years ago. Whatever direction she teaches them in now seems awkward to me.

Post Thanks / Like

They take both flexibility and fine motor control - so they do take a long time to learn. A little often is the best way.

Post Thanks / Like

i swear to god i look like a beached whale trying to do them...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyStacey View Post
    i swear to god i look like a beached whale trying to do them...lol
    I feel like a dancing mango. I still have a pear-shaped figure, even after losing weight, so even after 3 1/2 years of classes, I feel like I look horrible doing undulations. The top part of me is so small. Not just my chest, my shoulders, too. I'm very narrow up top, so I have it in my mind that I need to "overcompensate' to get an undulation going, when smaller moves would probably in truth look better My moves feel all wobbly instead of wavy, so I get this "dancing mango" sensation. I've videoed myself doing undulations---it's not pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    I feel like a dancing mango. I still have a pear-shaped figure, even after losing weight, so even after 3 1/2 years of classes, I feel like I look horrible doing undulations. The top part of me is so small. Not just my chest, my shoulders, too. I'm very narrow up top, so I have it in my mind that I need to "overcompensate' to get an undulation going, when smaller moves would probably in truth look better My moves feel all wobbly instead of wavy, so I get this "dancing mango" sensation. I've videoed myself doing undulations---it's not pretty.
    Well if you are the dancing mango, I must be the dancing apple. )) I am the rounded one all over- not good.

Post Thanks / Like

well i'm 5'9" have an hour glass figure i wear a size 6 & i just feel like a beach whale doing undulations. so what an interesting troupe we'd make a mango, an apple, & a whale rofl

Post Thanks / Like

This is a move that takes a lot and I mean a lot of practice. I've been doing it for 2 years now and the up to down undulations still give me headaches.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

yup i can see how it can take a LOOOONNNG time to get it...lol. i will keep at it. right now just trying to learn it from a dvd granted may not be the best way to learn the move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    you are the oddest dancing mango I have ever seen, Farasha You photo on your user page is beautiful and very professional. So I think it's safe to say you are beautiful inside and out.
    As for wobbling, I don't think that you should worry too much about that. I have never heard someone complaining a bellydancer wobbled to much. It's stillness and being stiltled in your movements that you should worry about. I think everyone must go through this 'wobbly' stage until our body gets used to the movement and we can finally produce that wavy, fluid undulation. It's one of those moves that takes time and varies according to the individual.
    I think most shimmies start of wobbly until we learn to control the movement, thats when we get the finesse of movement that is desired.
    For me that's the key, we practise the movement and finally learn how to control the movement and produce the desired effect.

Sita

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast