Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Undulations

  1. #21
    Member Nebetmiw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    I'm going to add this to my list of misnamed moves along with the "taqsim" Why? Because Egyptian undulations are pelvic only. The whole chest circle thing is not part of the Arabic dance vocab. Sigh!
    This is one reason I choose to work with Egyptian. Since I have an upper rod in my back upper body undulation are impossible. Now my lower are really good though.

  2. #22
    Senior Member GypsyStacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    GypsyStacey:
    First of all: What part of the body do you try to undulate?
    Is is the belly? or is it your hands? Arms? Torso? Head? Legs? Or is it both the chest, belly and pelvis? Is the movement up and down or sideways?


    Aniseteph:
    I've heard that as well, i.e. variations of it.. And I have heard at least 4 different explanations on the move called "the camel".
    The dvd that was showing it was using the chest, belly & pelvis. my instructor hasn't touched on the yet so i'm not going to overly think about them & do the best i can when i practice at home & wait until my instructor teaches them.

  3. #23
    Moderator Daimona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyStacey View Post
    The dvd that was showing it was using the chest, belly & pelvis. my instructor hasn't touched on the yet so i'm not going to overly think about them & do the best i can when i practice at home & wait until my instructor teaches them.
    Ah! This one can be parted in three different moves.

    For the undulation downwards:
    1. Chest; Make a chest circle forwards and up:
      • Push forwards
      • Lift up
      • Pull backwards/in
      • Pull down
    2. Bellyroll that starts just below the diaphragm and roll downwards. Read Shira's instruction. Video here.
      • Pull in upper part of belly.
      • Pull in lower part of belly while gradually releasing upper part.
    3. Pelvis wave (a nice German illustration) or pelvis circle forwards and up.

      This one might be easier to do with one foot slightly in front of the other.

    If you start with the chest circle, the belly roll starts at the end of the circle while it is coming down. It meets the pelvis wave/circle just before you release the tuck.


    And of course it is possible to do the undulations with just the chest circle and bellyroll (like this video; "upper undulation") or bellyroll and pelvis wave/circle (like this video; "lower undulation").
    It is also possible to add the head and make it really big (American; not ME as far as I've understood).


    I hope this help you on your way.


    And speaking of ”the camel”, I’ve heard it used for just the pelvic wave/circle, the combination of pelvic wave/circle and bellyroll and all of the above, both with or without walking with it. And I’ve heard other explanations for it….
    Last edited by Daimona; 03-12-2010 at 10:58 PM.
    --
    Daim.

  4. #24
    V.I.P. jenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colchester UK
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about Jillina's explanation

    chest lift - push out upper abs - push out lower abs (belly) pull it back in

    Oh and I fin I do better undulations if I move straight into a one hip circle or an ommi

  5. #25
    V.I.P. Aziyade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cornfields of Evansville Indiana.
    Posts
    2,743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Shareen el Safy taught a more vertical chest-belly-belly undulation as an Egyptian movement, and I'm quite sure I've seen a young Fifi do it.

    The Ferris Wheel type chest circle I've seen on Turkish videos from the 80s. I think that's where the Americans get it. I agree this isn't Egyptian. Yet. LOL.


    I actually quite like Suhaila's "Interior Undulation" which is composed of a chest lift (contraction in the upper back) then a contraction in the upper abs, followed by a contraction in the lower abs. It feels as if the movement is lifting up and rolling back down and into the body. To me it's more "visceral" than a ferris wheel type of undulation, although I do like the one Jillina teaches, as described above. ScarlettDancer is using that in her class, and I haven't practiced it in ages, so it's like learning a new move for me. Looks great with flat-ball-ball-ball footwork, traveling around in a circle around oneself.

  6. #26
    Senior Member GypsyStacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    well they are coming my teacher did have us doing the ferris wheel type chest circle so i'm thinking with practice it will come.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    so grateful that this forum exists...i will be lurking until
    i even know what to ask...

  8. #28
    Senior Member GypsyStacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvcajun View Post
    so grateful that this forum exists...i will be lurking until
    i even know what to ask...
    that sounds about what i mostly do...lol

  9. #29
    Member Nebetmiw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Shareen el Safy taught a more vertical chest-belly-belly undulation as an Egyptian movement, and I'm quite sure I've seen a young Fifi do it.

    The Ferris Wheel type chest circle I've seen on Turkish videos from the 80s. I think that's where the Americans get it. I agree this isn't Egyptian. Yet. LOL.


    I actually quite like Suhaila's "Interior Undulation" which is composed of a chest lift (contraction in the upper back) then a contraction in the upper abs, followed by a contraction in the lower abs. It feels as if the movement is lifting up and rolling back down and into the body. To me it's more "visceral" than a ferris wheel type of undulation, although I do like the one Jillina teaches, as described above. ScarlettDancer is using that in her class, and I haven't practiced it in ages, so it's like learning a new move for me. Looks great with flat-ball-ball-ball footwork, traveling around in a circle around oneself.

    Suhailas is the one I can do naturally. For some reason it is how I do my belly rolls too.

  10. #30
    Senior Member LadyLoba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nevada, USA
    Posts
    742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can do an upper body undulation...the one that starts with the chest that a lot of people call a "camel." But a "reverse camel" aka "lower undulation"...

    I am so stuck on that...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •