Post Thanks / Like

Default okay in class & then so so at home

why is it in class i seem to be feeling pretty comfortable. happy with what i'm doing & my progress. then i get home & want to keep that feeling going practice the moves while they are fresh & it's not the same. i'm wondering if it's because i'm practicing on carpet & my feet feel like they get caught up on it? what do others do that have carpet where they practice?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have carpet where I practice, but sometime ago one of the studio's I went too had a commercial style carpet so I wore soft split sole jazz shoes that stopped the carpet burn feel and turning etc was easier. I still wear them because on hot days your feet don't seem to move as well on wood floors and in winter they keep my feet warm enough to stop my whole body from feeling cold.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Our carpet doesn't bother me, but a lot of times, I get home all pumped and excited, wanting to practice what we did in class, then I lose it. Somehow, in our dining area, I kinda lose my sense of direction, I don't know why. Plus, I have a notoriously forgetful memory, and I can't remember which direction I'm supposed to be turned in, how many times to do that move, etc. I think I might be more dependent on the mirrors than I thought, so I need to get out of that. That, and maybe find that miracle memory pill...

Post Thanks / Like

Ballet pumps are good for carpet - I got cheapo ones on eBay and they are handy to have at workshops too in case of dodgy floors.

I practice in the living room (carpet, usually covered in Lego, not great), the garden in summer (great for flailing sticks and veils and thrashing out big choreography, no lamps to bash, and "mirrors" in the back windows!, lousy for technique/footwork 'cos I trip on the lumps the ants have made), or kitchen (best one as it's vinyl floor, "mirrors" in the windows at night but very small and I sometimes wonder what the passing neighbours might think).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Ballet pumps are good for carpet - I got cheapo ones on eBay and they are handy to have at workshops too in case of dodgy floors.

I practice in the living room (carpet, usually covered in Lego, not great), the garden in summer (great for flailing sticks and veils and thrashing out big choreography, no lamps to bash, and "mirrors" in the back windows!, lousy for technique/footwork 'cos I trip on the lumps the ants have made), or kitchen (best one as it's vinyl floor, "mirrors" in the windows at night but very small and I sometimes wonder what the passing neighbours might think).
    right now i practice in my narrow & long living room in an apartment my mirrior is my sliding glass door so i'm also wondering what the neighbours think at night...lol. i am however going to buy a full length mirrior that i can move around. my entrance way would work as it's linyl, so that's an idea.

hmmm ballett pumps do they have heels? split jazz shoes i'll have to check into both.

Post Thanks / Like

No heels - they are soft leather or canvas with a small leather sole. You can still feel the ground as you would with bare feet, but you get some protection.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to go the other way--I do great at home, then in class for some reason my shimmy disappears or I can't hit the marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    No heels - they are soft leather or canvas with a small leather sole. You can still feel the ground as you would with bare feet, but you get some protection.
    ahhh yes i've always known them as ballett slippers...lol.

jujube ~ between the two of us we are on the mark...lol
    Last edited by Shanazel; 03-11-2010 at 06:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I do find there is a difference between dancing on carpet and floor. Carpet tends to add more friction and it can make a difference in your dance.

Regarding the difference there could be many factors in play that the ladies said above. Without being able to factor out each one it is diffficult to say what is needed to fix the situation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~