An interesting idea

Jane

I've been invited to dance in a show next June which includes several different dance styles. I'll be doing something Egyptian for my solo. At the end of the show the director wants me, the Tribal Fusion dancers, and another dancer (BD style unknown) to dance together for a finale. I like the concept and am wondering how I can interact with the TF dancers onstage without looking too together or too isolated. Ideas?

The song chosen for the finale is The Huntress by Gypsy Caravan. I like the song, but I'm finding it difficult for me to interpret. I've tried both dancing it and visualizing a few things. What I'm ending up doing both physically, and in mental vision, is a American Oriental style veil piece. Trying to dance in an Egyptian style to this song feels awkward. Suggestions?

Wasn't sure if this should be posted under Styles or Performance. Mods, feel free to move :)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I don't know the song, but why not try something more folkloric?

Unfortunately, usually when I've seen group dances that try to combine tribal, tribal fusion, American, Egyptian, etc -- it usually looks kind of like a big mess that doesn't do ANY style justice.

I LOVE the idea of a folkloric finale for a multi-style show. Maybe Ghawazee? Would something like that fit with your song?

Jane

The song was chosen by the Director and the band. It's not a bad song, it's just Americanized belly dance music. That's why I feel I react to it in more of an Am. Oriental way. I could try using some Ghawazee style movements to it, I'll try that. Thanks for the idea Aziyade!

YouTube - The Huntress
You can hear the song here. I don't know these dancers from Adam btw.

Last edited: