Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I get Threads Magazine on a regular basis, and have found a lot of interesting and helpful information about handling specialty fabrics there. There was an article about building bras into dresses a while back that was also helpful for costumers. One of the things I located was a source for powernet. Haven't ordered from the company yet, but plan to do so this week. I like the under the breasts and over the shoulders type of leotards for wearing under costumes, and while SugarPetals is wonderful, those little leotards of powernet are so expensive- and so simple, two pieces- that I have decided to see about making my own. Two side seams, one seam at the crotch, serge the raw edges- voila. I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone made anything of powernet? Any tips?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, OMG, OMG! Must abandon sleeves!!! Found out about upcoming performance! Have to work on another costume!!

Azeeza

PS Is this a new frentic thread???

Post Thanks / Like

I've just been told about an upcoming performance (my first) so I'm thinking about the costume we're to come up with. Bear in mind, I've never made a costume in my life, and straight lines on a sewing maching are not my friend.

The costume is to be really simple: a double circle skirt and either a choli or gypsy wrap-style top. What would be the best (satiny, shinyish, easy to sew) fabric for them?

(And I understand the theory behind making a plain circle skirt - how do you make a double one?!)
    Last edited by gwinity; 07-18-2006 at 12:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Shanazel, I also get Threads so I'll have to see if I have the article you're speaking of. I too have thought about making something with powernet. I have some leotards that I was thinking about cutting in half and adding powernet to the middle. Unfortunately I've never worked with it either so I can't give advice. Do you own a serger? They can help when sewing with knits.
    Good luck and happy sewing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gwinity View Post
    I've just been told about an upcoming performance (my first) so I'm thinking about the costume we're to come up with. Bear in mind, I've never made a costume in my life, and straight lines on a sewing maching are not my friend.

The costume is to be really simple: a double circle skirt and either a choli or gypsy wrap-style top. What would be the best (satiny, shinyish, easy to sew) fabric for them?

(And I understand the theory behind making a plain circle skirt - how do you make a double one?!)
    A single circle skirt is one circle with one hole the size of your waist.

A double circle skirt is two circles, each with a hole in the middle (this hole's diameter should be at least half the diameter of your waist, plus 2 seam allowances). Cut one slit in each circle, from middle hole to outside hem. Now stack the two circles on top of each other, right side to right side. Next, sew the two circles to each other at the slit. There will be two seams, each a straight line, one on either side of the slit. Don't sew the circle to itself, sew it to the other circle.

When you open this up "flat" after sewing, you will get a big wrinkly doughnut. It won't really go flat, unless you fold it in place. The idea is that you can hold your skirt 's sides up above your head, but the hem will still hit the floor at front and back (for modesty).

Finally, you have to put a waistband on, and hem the d*^% thing.:eek:

I would probably use one of the metallic blend cottons that are on the market, since I find cotton easy to sew, and satin more difficult. The problem is that cottons are rough, and often have narrow widths.

Check out the upholstery and drapery fabrics....sometime you can find good deals there on wide widths.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    Finally, you have to put a waistband on, and hem the d*^% thing.:eek:
    A nightmare!

Post Thanks / Like

I've only made one costume so far which was for a troupe peformance, so while I got to personalise the way it was finished as far as beading etc goes, the basic design needed to be the same (or as similar as I could get it) to the dresses the other ladies were wearing. About half way through the beading I had come to the conclusion that I was totally out of my mind and that I would never attempt anything like that ever again, but I think in hind-sight most of that feeling was from the stress that I had a deadline looming fast rather than the beading itself. I've gotten over that now and have lots of projects whirling around in my head...just got to pick one and go for it! (no deadline no worries )

Post Thanks / Like

Shanazel, I also get Threads so I'll have to see if I have the article you're speaking of. I too have thought about making something with powernet. I have some leotards that I was thinking about cutting in half and adding powernet to the middle. Unfortunately I've never worked with it either so I can't give advice.
    I did that once for my daughter. One of the gals in the troupe made her own powernet stocking from scratch, and swore never again. she had some scraps of the power net she had given to me thinking I could use them for something for the kiddo. I had dyed a leotard for kiddo that shrank a bit in the dying process so she was complaining about it riding up. So I chopped it in half, added in the power net for the middle and it worked fantastic. I used a plain old machine to anchor the powernet, then ran a serged seam once I had the fit where she wanted. Of course I didn't have to worry about making the powernet super snug for her. She was all of 7 at the time and the big concern was making the loetared longer so it fit her more comfortably as well as keeping the top of the leotard from riding up when she raised her arms. Somewhere around here I have a picture that I'll have to dig up.

Post Thanks / Like

since reading this thread.... I'm now replacing cups instead of making a whole bra !!! I never even thought it was possable but yesterday I bought a bra to do up, when I got home I got to thinking about this thread and thought "is it possable" so I got the other bra out went snip. snip got the new one and snip, snip put the two together and went wow it works !!! thanks for the idea lol

Post Thanks / Like

da Sage, thank you SO much for all that info! (I've copied and printed it in case the unthinkable happens to this site again). I tried Googling for information about double-circle skirts, but ended up finding nothing, so your post is going to be extremely useful!

A nightmare!
    Amulya, are you suggesting it might be an idea to get help? :p

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast