Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=gwinity;2830]

We made a mock-up skirt in a lightweight crepe, and it's hanging to get the hemline right, but I have a question about the hemline in a double circle skirt: is it meant to be one even curve all the way around, or is it meant to be "loopy", with the curve from each half-circle longer than the seams?
    QUOTE]

I don't quite understand the question. 1) Do you mean should the layered skirts be different lengths, a shorter one on top of a longer one? 2) Or should a single layered skirt be longer in the front than at the sides?

In case of number one, that is a matter of taste. In case of number two, if you cut the skirt right, it will be the same length all the way around: the line from the top of a side seam to the bottom will be the same length as a line from the middle of the top of the skirt (at the hipline) to the middle of the bottom of the skirt (at the hemline). (Boy, this is so much more difficult to explain than to just show someone!)
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Shanazel, I didn't make myself very clear, did I? I meant, because it's a double circle (not two layered single circles), the unhemmed circle falls with a scalloped edge, each one a half-circle. I wasn't sure whether to leave the scalloped edge, so that the skirt would be longer in the centre of each panel, between the seams, or to have the skirt the same length all the way around.

Make sense now?

I took the unfinished skirt to class last night to confirm that it was what my teacher wanted, and she clarified the hem issue for me: it's to be one length all the way around, not scalloped.

Despite it's weight, it's great to dance in.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it figured out. I like the feel of a heavier skirt, as long as it still has good hand. Stiff and heavy wouldn't work for me at all, but flowy and heavy makes me feel very elegant. (Flowy is a highly technical term, by the way )
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Moved to a new thread
    Last edited by Azeeza; 08-01-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Flowy is a highly technical term, by the way
    LOL!!
    It feels really pretty to dance in (and because it's crepe, it's marvellously flowy), so even though it's not the real one, I'm going to keep it for everyday wear and practicing.

Thanks for all your advice and assistance!

Post Thanks / Like

I finished the satin skirt and matching gypsy top the other weekend, and they feel divine to dance in. I have a belt, similar to this one (link to ebay page) in irridescent purple-blue-copper beads that looks gorgeous over the sharkskin-green satin.

problem: I have big hips, and because the belt is stretchy, I'm terrified it's going to break. If I can get more beads in similar colourings, I might completely re-make it (or make another); if not, I'm going to devote any spare time I have to reinforcing each row. And, of course, a girl's gotta have matching accessories, right?

Post Thanks / Like

OK, waiting for shots to be fired...hubby has been commenting lately on how much he misses the plaid (tartan for those of you in the UK) flannel shirts I used to wear when we first met. I guess he's getting tired of me looking nice or something :p . I keep telling him I'm addicted to sparklies now, and I gotta have 'em or I just don't feel right.

But -- our anniversary is on Halloween, and in the spirit of the holiday I thought I would make a plaid flannel ghawazee type coat to wear with some hugely flowy harem pants. I ordered the pattern yesterday and will be shopping for flannel soon; I'll post a picture as soon as I get it made. I already have a "tribaret" type coin and bead bra I made, with a matching hip scarf so I still get my bling and he gets his flannel.

Boy, is he gonna be surprised!

Post Thanks / Like

The colors sound delicious, Gwinity. Can you show pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't taken any yet, but I'll see what I can do. Sadly, I'm not performing in it this weekend, becaus the stage was too small for all of us, but I might get out the tripod and camera at home.

Suhad, that sounds priceless - definitely show us a photo when it's done!

Post Thanks / Like

My first costume

Hi! I'm new to this site, and I've never sewn anything in my life, but I've just bought all the materials for making a belly dance costume. I'm so excited to start sewing! It's going to be dark red / wine colored (I just realized I have no idea what the fabrics are called...), with gold decorations added, and hopefully it'll be done by next halloween.

Aliz

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast